Remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FF1324

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all new here. I just purchased a 2020 Ram classic after selling my 08 2500 Ram. I am getting the dealer to install remote start for me. He says he don’t think it will work with my Uconnect app. As of right now it only shows unlock and lock. My question is when they get the remote start installed will it show up on the app or did I just waste 600 bucks for a factory remote start for no reason, when I could have gotten a aftermarket one for cheaper to do what I want it to do? Thanks

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello all new here. I just purchased a 2020 Ram classic after selling my 08 2500 Ram. I am getting the dealer to install remote start for me. He says he don’t think it will work with my Uconnect app. As of right now it only shows unlock and lock. My question is when they get the remote start installed will it show up on the app or did I just waste 600 bucks for a factory remote start for no reason, when I could have gotten a aftermarket one for cheaper to do what I want it to do? Thanks

If the program the computer to recognize remote start it should populate to the app. One would think at least.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

OP
OP
FF1324

FF1324

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the program the computer to recognize remote start it should populate to the app. One would think at least.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40
That’s what I am hoping but am getting told otherwise. That’s why I came here figured I could get more info.

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ouch, $600 for 2 key fobs, maybe a hood latch and 45 minutes labor.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What exactly is it are you looking for it to do? It will remote start from the fob but I'm pretty sure that's about it. The app for remote starting the truck from a smartphone is SiriusXM Guardian and I'm pretty sure if your truck wasn't born with it there's no way they can add it because it's tied to the VIN when the truck is built. If your truck already has Guardian it might work, if it doesn't probably not. But If you find a dealer that can add it let us all know because quite a few here might like it.

OP
OP
FF1324

FF1324

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What exactly is it are you looking for it to do? It will remote start from the fob but I'm pretty sure that's about it. The app for remote starting the truck from a smartphone is SiriusXM Guardian and I'm pretty sure if your truck wasn't born with it there's no way they can add it because it's tied to the VIN when the truck is built. If your truck already has Guardian it might work, if it doesn't probably not. But If you find a dealer that can add it let us all know because quite a few here might like it.
Yes my truck has Guardian I can unlock and lock it with my cell app I am just wondering after my dealer installs the auto start will it generate to the app so I can start it from my phone. Thanks

OP
OP
FF1324

FF1324

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s what I am hoping but am getting told otherwise. That’s why I came here figured I could get more info.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40
I Just got email back from FCA and they said it is not possible to add it to app if it wasn’t built with remote start from factory. Amazing how FCA can’t figure it out when my buddy did the same exact thing on his Chevy with no problems. Anyone know of a add on plug and play system I could add to the dealer installed remote start and use it in a aftermarket app like the drone mobile ect.
Thanks for your replies.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40
Negative. Uconnect will only recognize factory installed remote start. The aftermarket ones, even these oem ones, don't connect to the bcm, all they do is sync with the security modual during programming.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Negative. Uconnect will only recognize factory installed remote start. The aftermarket ones, even these oem ones, don't connect to the bcm, all they do is sync with the security modual during programming.

The OEM add on remote start works the same way as the production (factory) installed version and go through the BCM and RF hub the same way.
The only question is if the UConnect system will recognize the BCM change or it goes off the production configuration.

Hopefully once @FF1324 has the OEM remote start added, he'll report back if it shows up in his UConnect app/account. It might takes a few drive cycles for it "see" the new truck configuration. I don't think the people you call for UConnect help know anything but what's on the script of answers.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
The OEM add on remote start works the same way as the production (factory) installed version and go through the BCM and RF hub the same way.
The only question is if the UConnect system will recognize the BCM change or it goes off the production configuration.

Hopefully once @FF1324 has the OEM remote start added, he'll report back if it shows up in his UConnect app/account. It might takes a few drive cycles for it "see" the new truck configuration. I don't think the people you call for UConnect help know anything but what's on the script of answers.
It doesn't work with the app, i have this exact remote start. There would be a couple thoudand drive cycles on mine before the uconnect expired.
It is not programmed duing factory build so it will not show up in uconnect.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
FF1324

FF1324

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I will get let’s yous all know if it works after I get OME remote start installed. As of right now they say it will not work if not installed at factory. Sort of mind boggling how much tech knowledge they have in these truck but can’t push a OME add on to the vin and to get it to work. Time will tell. I’ll keep yahs posted.

OP
OP
FF1324

FF1324

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will get let’s yous all know if it works after I get OME remote start installed. As of right now they say it will not work if not installed at factory. Sort of mind boggling how much tech knowledge they have in these truck but can’t push a OME add on to the vin and to get it to work. Time will tell. I’ll keep yahs posted.
So I got it installed today and called XM guardian and they told me my vehicle doesn’t have remote start. I will be looking for a plug and play system that will work. Drone mobile says they have a plug and play T connector. I don’t know if they can’t just push a notification to add the remote start to app or they are just plain lazy. I know Chevy’s can and will my buddy got one installed and added to his app. Well onto another system from my understanding the plug and play system for drone mobile will work with my ome remote start. That’s what I understood by the email I received by them. I will have to look into that.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if it changed but when I had my 15 SLT UConnect was the issue.It didn't work with our service providers here in Canada.Personally I don't care.I'm old and don't do everything with my phone.

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just my 2 cents. I have an 18 Ram 1500. Guardian locks and unlocks. I was told for some reason, 18 and above, you cannot remote start from the app. Something changed for 18. I can put a regular factory one in but not possible through the app.

Rods Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Laramie Crew
Engine
5.7 L V8 Hemi
Hi all, you won’t believe this but I got on the Uconnect app today just a little bit ago, and the remote start feature was showing up on the app!!! See attached pic. I was one of those that had remote start installed at the dealer when I bought my truck and it was not showing up on the app. Don’t let Uconnect kid you and saying it can’t be added on the app! Well I am proof that they can do it. All you have to do is make sure they open a ticket with the software group and you get the ticket number. Now this didn’t happen overnight so be patient. But it can be done! Yay! Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know the good news!

Attachments

• B851E7C2-E885-4695-A589-49935862B8D4.png
    B851E7C2-E885-4695-A589-49935862B8D4.png
    244.5 KB · Views: 5