Renewable Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishersurfbum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For what it’s worth I’ve been using r99 renewable diesel (not biodiesel) in my 2023 for the last 500 miles or so, I only have 3700 on the new truck.

I mainly drive around town not too many longer trips. I was seeing a lot of regenerations with petroleum diesel, was concerned. Looked into using renewable diesel as it supposedly had less soot, higher cetane, similar cost here in Southern California.

Fuel mileage is pretty much the same as with standard diesel, power feels the same, motor is quieter, feels smoother, and I haven’t had a single regeneration yet where before I would have had a couple, and the DPF gauge hasn’t moved at all just empty.

I’m pretty happy with the results I see so far. This probably means nothing to people who really work their truck a lot or drive far a lot, as the passive regeneration will keep your DPF clean. But for those who do a lot of in town driving with their diesel filling up with r99 renewable diesel will help keep your DPF cleaner.

I looked into putting the renewable into the truck for a long time before I did it. But I’m happy I did. Cummins says you can, and it runs great.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you saving money on fuel? (Yea, I am naive and drive a gasser.)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Renewable Diesel is the basically the same as BioDiesel & Ethanol
Made from Cow Corn, correctly named Field Corn, processed with Animal Fat & used Cooking Oil.
From what i gather, it is the combination used in the processing

I don't believe that animal fat was used in the first version of biodiesel

Last edited:

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have never heard of this type of fuel. Cant say I have any idea if any dealers in my area have it?

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
after running my 6.7l for the last 2 years i would stay away from any renewable or BIO diesel you can. The new emissions systems do not like it one bit and cause havoc.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
From everything that i have read, BioDiesel tends to leave more crap in the filter than #2 Diesel.
In the areas that i drive, #2 Diesel costs less per gallon than BioDiesel, so i will not use BioDiesel, unless my tank is running low & the nearby Fueling Stations all use BioDiesel.
Trouble is, i have to drive around to find #2 Diesel, because i don't have or want a Smart Phone, to complicated for my uncluttered mind