Repainting part of door of 2013 Ram 1500 Quad cab ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have some paint that was scraped off of the rear door of the truck ,maybe a 3x3 spot and it is starting to rust on the bare spot and I am wanting to stop the rust and repaint the spot.
I am in my sixties and not really greatly concerned about the paint matching Precisely.
I am thinking about just getting a can of spray paint to do this.
Paint is white.

What type of prep do I need to do before spraying the spot and what type of white spray paint in a can do I need to get from either a auto parts store or wally world do I need to get ?

Thanks

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You need to thoroughly remove the rust first. Sand the area well, try to get it to bare metal. Then use a automotive fill (Bondo is one type) to fill the scratches and area between paint and metal. Sand off with progressively finer sand paper. Then spray with a good automotive primer. Then you can spay paint and clear coat. Won't be pretty, but will protect door. Would recommend having a body shop do it. Worth the money. Good luck.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Mopar make touch up paint for your paint code in a spray can. It's a perfect match except if it's metallic paint, then it can be a different outcome. If you use the Mopar paint for your paint code, it's really just basic prep then spray. If you want to clear over it, just about any clear will work, or Mopar has that as well. The can is around 6 Oz and is easy to use. In addition their are several firms that will sell you premixed paint cans to match your paint code along with clear for a reasonable price.

I scraped my topper on a low door and was able to repair and repaint the damage in less than a day including dry time and re clearing.