Replaced fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuqua588

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
ive replaced the fog lights and they still dont work i bought the truck recently and the fog lights didnt work then and they still dont work now. i looked into it maybe being a fuse but on the 3rd gens they did the tipm and ive searched the internet and checked the owners manual and there is no fuse labeled fog lights.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are the fog lights OEM with the push button in the light switch? If memory serves me correct the 3rd gen had power fed directly from a power module under the fuse box to the fog lights. I don't know how to check that unit, but my best guess (and I hate just throwing money until the problem is verified) is that you need a new unit. But I checked an old email I had as I had similar problem years ago, is your relay 41 for your fogs? Sorry for splits answer, trying to recreate an answer from many years-old emails. Try verifying the relay first. Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in soon.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ive replaced the fog lights and they still dont work i bought the truck recently and the fog lights didnt work then and they still dont work now. i looked into it maybe being a fuse but on the 3rd gens they did the tipm and ive searched the internet and checked the owners manual and there is no fuse labeled fog lights.

If the link below is correct, F13 is for the fog light switch and F18 is for the fog light relays.

OP
OP
F

Fuqua588

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
Are the fog lights OEM with the push button in the light switch? If memory serves me correct the 3rd gen had power fed directly from a power module under the fuse box to the fog lights. I don't know how to check that unit, but my best guess (and I hate just throwing money until the problem is verified) is that you need a new unit. But I checked an old email I had as I had similar problem years ago, is your relay 41 for your fogs? Sorry for splits answer, trying to recreate an answer from many years-old emails. Try verifying the relay first. Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in soon.
yes and no i bought some aftermarket led lights cause i figured it was just the bulbs of the old ones that went bad but yes its all oem and is the module connected to the outside of the fusebox below it or is it under the initial panel of fuses inside the fusebox? i know their is a screw on top there once you open it up also the in the owners manual it says for 41 it shows nothing just blanks. thank you

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you replace with LEDs? Just wondering because that could be a problem. I don't have my 3rd gen to look at anymore, but remember it being underneath.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2004 had foglights when I got it and they didn't work. It was a fuse missing.

OP
OP
F

Fuqua588

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
Did you replace with LEDs? Just wondering because that could be a problem. I don't have my 3rd gen to look at anymore, but remember it being underneath.
yea i did and i did see people say that about the leds and it being because the polarity is off but im not sure how to check the polarity of the leds and im not sure how the polarity could be wrong unless the part bought was wired backwards is their something else to this that i havent found. Also from the little i can find on the fog lights wiring is if it ends up being the module from what ive searched you have to replace the whole fuse box unit for the 2006-08 years and they also say it is usually the module that goes bad also i cant find a module part for the fog lights so when you said you have to replace the unit did you mean the whole fuse box?

OP
OP
F

Fuqua588

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
i thinkj i have found the issue i have a cut wire i have a few wires that are freyed into right under the fuse box but only one completly cut off im guessing that is the culprit i will post a pic here soon might need some help with wiring also looks like something started to get in there at some point its seems minor but im not no electrician

OP
OP
F

Fuqua588

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
IMG_0003.jpegIMG_0004.jpegThis is my issue the wire that I stripped I hooked up and they turned on but it’s to short for me to tape up and trust so what gauge wire is this and can I just cut me a putt piece and throw in there with two butt connector heat shrinks and be worry free or is there any way I can replace the wire from the terminal and just have to have one heat shrink butt connect in there

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And don't be me; about 9 times out of 10 I remember to put the heat shrink on the wire before I solder it. It's that tenth time that drives me crazy.

Glad you found the issue.

OP
OP
F

Fuqua588

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
The best fix is to solder in a piece of wire with heat shrink on it. Wire size, as long as it appears to be close to original is not too critical given the short distance. It's probably 14 gauge I would guess.
yea i got it all hooked up this morning with some heat shrinks and now they work gonna see if its all cleanly connected tonight and make sure they dont flicker while driving... thank you everybody