RFE running too cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys. I’m towing around an 8K load across California at the moment in my stock 2013 4.7 with 3.92s. Even on the hills and merging onto highways the trans won’t crack 100°F. Highest i’ve seen it is 98.

Is this normal? it’s always run this cold but it just seems odd to run that cold with a pretty heavy load.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
well some of the members on this forum will think that 100°F is too hot...lol
I'm guessing the temperature sensor is going bad as I doubt it's cold enough in California to keep the temperature that cool in the transmission

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure how long of a drive you’re actually doing but I’m with the other comments. Bad sensor unless it’s a quick trip and not enough time to warm up.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hey guys. I’m towing around an 8K load across California at the moment in my stock 2013 4.7 with 3.92s. Even on the hills and merging onto highways the trans won’t crack 100°F. Highest i’ve seen it is 98.

Is this normal? it’s always run this cold but it just seems odd to run that cold with a pretty heavy load.

What are ambient temperatures outside when you record these trans temps?

With my oil cooler bypass kit, my RFE trans oil gets to about 100F in winter here in Minnesota. Just like all vehicles not too many years ago.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
well some of the members on this forum will think that 100°F is too hot...lol
I'm guessing the temperature sensor is going bad as I doubt it's cold enough in California to keep the temperature that cool in the transmission

Could be in Sierra Nevada Mountains? Or Mount Shasta mountains.

OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

With my oil cooler bypass kit, my RFE trans oil gets to about 100F in winter here in Minnesota. Just like all vehicles not too many years ago.
Roughly 20-40°F. I replaced the solenoid block in a hotel parking lot, first fluid change it’s had in roughly 150K miles. Surprisingly no metal at all and the magnet was completely clean like it was just installed. Fluid was so red i actually considered reusing it.

OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Also, in regards to service, crazy how much more serviceable the RFE is compared to the 8 speed. I have a charger and i love the shifting of it but i much prefer how easy the 6 is to service.

OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, running the same temps after solenoid block replacement but it does seem to shift a little better. If it ever goes bad i have a spare then.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Roughly 20-40°F. I replaced the solenoid block in a hotel parking lot, first fluid change it’s had in roughly 150K miles. Surprisingly no metal at all and the magnet was completely clean like it was just installed. Fluid was so red i actually considered reusing it.

Yep. You're fine.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Also, in regards to service, crazy how much more serviceable the RFE is compared to the 8 speed. I have a charger and i love the shifting of it but i much prefer how easy the 6 is to service.
Your trans sounds like the one my father in law use to have in his 2012, it did not like to shift good until trans was around 120 degrees....

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
There is that - traditionally unheated transmission oils did have poor shift quality at low ambients. Still do.

But the solution is not a too-small thermostat in the oil cooler line that overheats trans oil in summer temps.

FCA had a good idea and screwed it up.