Running board LEDs not working right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I just finished installing some 5630 Led strips under my new westin hdx boards. I wired them to my cargo light wire(tan and white) so they would come on when the key fob unlocks. All worked great for a bit then all hell broke loose. Now they either don't come on or they flash also when they are hooked up the fog lights don't come on. Pretty sure this is all canbus related. Any hints, tips or tricks I can do to get these to work properly?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I just finished installing some 5630 Led strips under my new westin hdx boards. I wired them to my cargo light wire(tan and white) so they would come on when the key fob unlocks. All worked great for a bit then all hell broke loose. Now they either don't come on or they flash also when they are hooked up the fog lights don't come on. Pretty sure this is all canbus related. Any hints, tips or tricks I can do to get these to work properly?

Did you use a relay or just wire them directly in? The CanBus system monitors the draw on the circuit and if it exceeds what the computer thinks it should be drawing it shuts the circuit down. There's a little play to allow for different bulbs, but I believe that one shuts down if it detects more than .75 amp over what it "should" be.

-K

OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Did you use a relay or just wire them directly in? The CanBus system monitors the draw on the circuit and if it exceeds what the computer thinks it should be drawing it shuts the circuit down. There's a little play to allow for different bulbs, but I believe that one shuts down if it detects more than .75 amp over what it "should" be.

-K
I just tapped directly into it, I'm pretty much illiterate to anything related to electrical systems. So wiring in a relay could solve my issue?

OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Edit: got it

Last edited:

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What did you figure out? Would like to see some pictures, too.

OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Had to wire in a relay and I originally had the switch wire (tapped into the footwell lights)and the 12v constant backwards and was causing the relay to buzz. 6477e1b5b34bb6a7c43903564aadfad1.jpg4c5f59ee863335bb02fd4bafc0de08e6.jpg