SDC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hemi Gen III design is a bear to swap pumps, though. I guess younger guys like the challenge.

I think the best suggestion for improved idle speed oiling is bumping the idle rpm up to what was the norm = 750 rpm, shutting engine down @ 1,000 rpm to leave oil galleys full, and pre-lubing by cranking without starting for several start cycles (if you don't start engine daily). Plus using low restriction oil filters = glass fiber filter media and large surface area.

All good strategies for the marginal oiling of Hemi roller valve lifters.

Still wondering what they're gonna do for a heavy duty gas engine. They're years behind GM & Ford. Yet again.

jelih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How do you crank without starting? Do you have to pull the fuel pump fuse every time, or is there some other trick?

I saw something the other day about some model of vehicle where if you put the gas to the floor before cranking, that tells the computer to let it crank without starting. I'm not willing to be the guinea pig for that one on my Ram tho.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hold the gas petal to the floor and crank, will spin the engine but will not allow it to start. Called flood mode

Builds oil pressure. Just remember to stop cranking before you lift your foot
I remember the first time I did that...it just seems counterintuitive. I held my breath....but it actually works!