Service Transmission reminder on dash. 2014 1500 with 8 speed trans.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

youmie440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a 2014 Ram with 162000 miles. My transmission service reminder came on the dash. Question being will the reminder go off after I change the fluid and filter? It still seems to shift fine. It is an 8HP70 Hope this isn't a dealer reset issue. Wondering if its a pressure switch that turns on the reminder or a mileage thing. Thanks

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You need to pull the code to see what the issue is that causing the service message. I doubt it has anything to do with changing the fluid and filter

OP
OP
Y

youmie440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was a CEL light on but it was for a minor evap leak. Bad o-ring on gas cap. The message said Service Transmission soon and do not shift gears while driving. Weird. Just went out and checked again. Drove around block and message did not come back. I guess I'm not going to worry about it. Truck shifts fine. Already ordered the new pan and fluid. No idea how long it's been since it's been changed.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There was a CEL light on but it was for a minor evap leak. Bad o-ring on gas cap. The message said Service Transmission soon and do not shift gears while driving.
Most scanners can only read P codes, I think you can read all of the codes with AlfaOBD.
It might be worth checking the plug on the transmission, make sure the connections are clean and tight.

JJRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Transmission fluid change, when I bought my 2014 ram 1500 with an 8-speed I spoke to the service manager about all lube and fluid. He said that the manual says that there is nothing about fluid change for that 8-speed transmission. Maybe Mopar didn't think anyone would keep their Ram as long as I am going to keep mine, I have the lifetime warranty on mine from Crysler and have 160,000 on mine. Fluid And Filter Changes — Eight-Speed Transmission Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle. Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason
I hope this helps.

If it is throwing a code, have it checked for sure.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Chrysler says 'sealed for life' but ZF says 80k miles, less for severe duty.

Here's what my fluid looked like at 106k miles, with no towing or hauling:

20210101_173936 (1).jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Transmission fluid change, when I bought my 2014 ram 1500 with an 8-speed I spoke to the service manager about all lube and fluid. He said that the manual says that there is nothing about fluid change for that 8-speed transmission. Maybe Mopar didn't think anyone would keep their Ram as long as I am going to keep mine, I have the lifetime warranty on mine from Crysler and have 160,000 on mine. Fluid And Filter Changes — Eight-Speed Transmission Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle. Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason
I hope this helps.

If it is throwing a code, have it checked for sure.
Did they happen to say what is considered the "life of the vehicle". Chrysler says it's sealed for "life" but they won't ever put a number on what "life" means,till then i'd be more inclined to follow ZF's reconmendations which is service the transmission between 50,000 and 80,000 miles or 8 years which ever comes first

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did they happen to say what is considered the "life of the vehicle". Chrysler says it's sealed for "life" but they won't ever put a number on what "life" means,till then i'd be more inclined to follow ZF's reconmendations which is service the transmission between 50,000 and 80,000 miles or 8 years which ever comes first
'until it dies', lol.

@JJRR, If you have the lifetime warranty, I guess you are good to go.

I had to decline an extended warranty on mine, but I was covered to 100k miles, and I am 53k beyond that now.

Have done the fluid changes and maintenance myself, with support and encouragement from members here.

If something goes south, I will have to get it fixed, or fix it myself. It is what it is.

She has been an excellent truck, and I am gonna keep her as long as I can.

dheddleston

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have 240k miles on my 2014 Ram Longhorn - never changed transmission fluids nor filter. Service manager said these are life long no service transmission, I guess I proved that theory. I was planning to service the tranny at 150k miles but my corner shop said dont do it, probabaly willcause more harm than good....... I have a new 22 Laramie with an 8 speed I will probably service at 60,000 miled this go around.
I still drive my 14 Longhorn & she works well & was so good looking I didnt want to trade it in.....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have 240k miles on my 2014 Ram Longhorn - never changed transmission fluids nor filter. Service manager said these are life long no service transmission, I guess I proved that theory. I was planning to service the tranny at 150k miles but my corner shop said dont do it, probabaly willcause more harm than good....... I have a new 22 Laramie with an 8 speed I will probably service at 60,000 miled this go around.
I still drive my 14 Longhorn & she works well & was so good looking I didnt want to trade it in.....
Hopefully you've changed the engine oil,it'd be scary if you still had the original oil in the crankcase to.Just what was the reason given by your corner shop for not doing a fluid and filter change. You don't want to flush a high milege transmission,which i'm guessing is what you wanted them to do,but a simple fluid and filter swap shouldn't hurt it. I have to admit,i'm more inclined to believe ZF over FCA,as FCA/Stellentis is in the business to sell you a new truck as often as they can,but that's just my opinion.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What gets me is the amount of people who believe the dealer or FCA about the 8 speed transmissions,being sealed for life,for one thing the transmission is not sealed,it has a vent to let air in and out,if it didn't,it would blow every seal when the transmission warmed up from the expansion of the air and fluid inside it,so if you live in a high humidity area,the air it sucks back in when it cools off,is the same high humidity air you're breathing,in other words moisture laden.But if you want to believe the theory it's sealed for life,go right ahead,i'm not so inclined to believe that one though.
If FCA told you the engine was sealed for life and didn't need an oil change,how many of you would believe them.BTW the transmission has wear pieces internally that contribute to oil contamination ,clutches and steels inside a transmission don't last forever