Shifting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gasser2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 Crew Cab Tradesman Longbed: I took it into the dealer to get two recalls completed. One was a solenoid. After I got it back, I drove if for 15 miles and then would shift out of 4th, when I cam to a stop if would shift out of 1st. I pulled over and did the 3-on rest, a was able to finish my drive to work. Same issue on the way home. Dealer changed out another or same solenoid and ran fine for a week but never got over 70 mph. Happened again this morning. But got to 90 in some areas passing other vehicles. I've read it might be a limp issue to save the trans. Check engine light came on each time. Please advise.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My old truck had that. I ended up trading it in... I had the solenoid replaced, transfer case and then a transmission.

Drove it for 2 years and the same problem came back. Traded the truck because it spent more time in the shop then at home.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You have had the solenoid pack changed twice now but no mention of the valvebody. Makes me wonder if the issue is in the valvebody itself and not he solenoid pack. both are known issues in the rfe transmissions. Not sure of the procedure for checking the valvebody but they are known for failing because of crossleakage and the accumulator plate flexing among some other things. Aftermarket valvebodies are the way to go if it is in fact the issue. They address the weak points that oem does not. Look up sonnax or revmax valvebody for the 68rfe. Not saying it is for sure your issue but I would have it checked if it hasn't been already.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If in fact it is the problem then I will say that if you are capable of changing your own transfluid then it is an easy fix to change out the valvebody. You will be looking straight at it once the pan is off off the transmission. I want to say its like 6 or 8 bolts holding it in place plus the harness from the top. Pretty easy diy if your handy with a couple of tools.

OP
OP
G

Gasser2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Pretty handy. Not my UTI Brother, but still pretty handy. Thank you.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Need to know what the codes were before we can even start to guess at what the issue is. Limp mode will stick the trans in 4th and not shift at all.

Last edited:

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Need to know what the codes where before we can even start to guess at what the issue is. Limp mode will stick the trans in 4th and not shift at all.

This is true. Definitely want to find out the issue before just throwing parts at it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, pull codes if you're lucky enough to get them. I've been through two tranny failures (gas - 66rfe but similar tranny) and only got one once the thing was totally trashed. It does sound like the valve body is a good possibility as they are definitely known to be problematic.

jabisout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had a similar issue about 65000 miles ago. I installed a new shift solenoid, and 68RFE Valve Body With Billet Plate. The factory valve body has place valves in it and the suck. The 68RFE Valve Body With Billet Plate I found on Ebay and a machine shop in Oklahoma reworks them and installs aluminum valves that work amazing. So far it has done nothing but shift like it should.