Simple Brass Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kingnothing395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter HEMI
I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn used. It has the Rambox cargo management system, but it did not have a divider. So I bought one used on eBay. It arrived today, including the keyfob with the key. I just realized that if I want to lock the divider, I will need to carry two keyfobs. I guess I could take the key out of this keyfob, but it is kind of bulky. The bow, or head is thick and doesn't carry as well as a simple flat key.

So I have a couple of questions:

Can I have the lock in the bed extender/divider replaced with tumblers that match the key to my truck?
Can I get a simple flat key cut that fits the lock? Does anyone know the key id code for a brass key that will fit the lock?

Way back in the 90s my first job was cutting keys and selling knick-knacks and whatnot in a shop similar to a Things Remembered, if any of you remember those. It is long-since closed. We sold and engraged zippo lighters, clocks, beer steins, picture frames, etc... I also cut keys, including house keys, cabinet keys, and car keys. This was back in the 1990s, before keyfobs and remote start and keyless entry, etc.. So is there a simple flat key I can cut for the bed extender, and just carry that on my keychain? The warding does familiar, like a key we used to cut for Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles. Does anyone know the code for the key blank?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, you can re-key the lock on the bed divider. You need to purchase the lock cylinder kit. I did that with the 2020 Laramie I used to own. The bed divider doesn't come with the rambox option on 5th gens. You need to get the bed utility group if you want the bed divider. Anyway, the truck I bought off the lot didn't have the BUG so the dealership ordered one for me, along with the lock cylinder kit. One of the guys in the parts department installed the lock cylinder kit and keyed it to my truck key for no extra charge. Here's a link to the lock kit...

OP
OP
K

kingnothing395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter HEMI
Thanks! That looks like it would be exactly what I need to do.

Do you know if there is a customer procedure for re-keying the new lock? Is there a special tool that only the dealer has?

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked up the part number and found a pic of the lock. Looks like it includes a bunch of springs and pins or tumblers. You need to figure out which cuts are on your key. Each pin has a number stamped so you just use the corresponding pin to match your cuts. I've rekeyed lots of locks for Neons and a few tailgate locks for Rams. Definitely something you can do yourself. It doesn't look like all 8 cuts and pins are used.
Look at the following link:

The link is a pic of an L series key which only had 7 cuts. There are 8 cuts on the M series keys on the Ram but you will use only the the cuts near the tip. There are 4 possible cuts on the key, a "1" is no cut and a "4" is the deepest cut. You will insert a spring first and then the pin or tumbler. Wiggle the pin side to side until it pops into place being careful not to trap and bend the end of the spring. It might need a light tap to seat. The keys are cut on both sides and if this lock is like most Chrysler locks, the pins alternate on the top and bottom. If the cuts on your key were the ones in the link, you would insert the pins like this:
4 3 1 2
2 3 3

If you did it correctly, when you insert your key, the pins will be even with the casting.
If you have a problem reading the cuts on your key, send me a pic of your key to my email address:
alpinegreenneon at neons dot org

Last edited:

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thanks this is going to help me out. The cylinder kit also came with what looks like a little grease, do I put that on the pin or spring? Or something else?

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put the grease on the rotating inner casting not the pins or springs. Grease eventually dries up and may hinder the springs from moving the pins.

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thanks, my new ram with ram boxes came with the bed extender but no lock. Dealer sent me one and your excellent instructions allowed me to key it. Thanks again