Smoke issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Max Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Ram 1500 5.7l 2007. Engine runs faily well but white smoke is constantly coming out.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ram 1500 5.7l 2007. Engine runs faily well but white smoke is constantly coming out.

You said that the engine is constantly smoking white and I'm guessing that the white smoke is coming from the exhaust. So, a few questions can help narrow this down. Only a few things can cause the white smoke.

Are you loosing coolant from the radiator and overflow bottle?

Is the engine using oil like where you have to add oil before the oil change is due?

What does the white smoke smell like? Engine oil? Combustion gases mixed with coolant and really funky smelling?

If you remove the oil filler cap on top of the engine with the engine running is there a lot of white smoke coming out of the filler cap?

How many miles are on this motor that you know of?

Are you the original owner or know about the trucks complete maintenance and repair history?

OP
OP
M

Max Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Loosing a little coolant
The smoke smell probably coolant
No smoke coming out of the oil filler cap
Original miles 160k
I am the second owner
Bought from a dealership.
Oil level is good and not mixing with water.

OP
OP
M

Max Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Also I have never missed any maintenance scheduled.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
White smoke is coolant.

PhilW55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
Head gasket or cracked head.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Max Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Thank you much. How much to fix it will it cost?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you much. How much to fix it will it cost?
With the white smoke and you losing some coolant my money is in a leaking head gasket. With the miles in the truck it's time to remove both cylinder heads for inspection but I would do some more diagnostics to determine the exact location. The first thing I would do is a block check just to confirm that you have combustion gases in the cooling system. Next, I would do a compression test on each cylinder along with a leak down test. If you have some basic hand tools this is something that you can do yourself and save some money.

OP
OP
M

Max Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I really don’t know how to do a block test. I will take it to the Chrysler service department to do it. What tool do I need to do it myself?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I really don’t know how to do a block test. I will take it to the Chrysler service department to do it. What tool do I need to do it myself?
To perform a block test, you can pick up a block check kit from your local Napa or other parts stored. The kit uses a special blue fluid that changes colors when it interacts with the combustion gases. The kits have instructions on how to operate the tester.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you have a shop in your area that works on radiators, they can do the Block Test for you
It will cost you much less than the dealership

how to run the Block Test

Last edited:

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Biggest issue with repairing a motor that has had A/F running through it is that the A/F attacks the crank and cam bearings.A lot of time you go to all the trouble of repairing the top end of a motor only to have the lower end go out not long after.Just my experience from wrenching for a living for 35+ years.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Biggest issue with repairing a motor that has had A/F running through it is that the A/F attacks the crank and cam bearings.A lot of time you go to all the trouble of repairing the top end of a motor only to have the lower end go out not long after.Just my experience from wrenching for a living for 35+ years.
And I thought I was all done learning.
So obvious, don't know why I never put 2 & 2 together to get 4.
Been lucky I guess. Last time I had a blown head gasket was in 1976.
Excellent point CVX20!