So I’ve been debating….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToddS1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
changing my transmission fluid. Bought the truck used with 158k last year and it seems to shift fine, slight and I mean ever so slight slip 1-2, kind of a light flare maybe, temp runs around 183-188 most days, it’s only crossed 190 a handful of times, has the normal 2-1 bump when coming slowly to a stop, but I wouldn’t call it harsh. I don’t buy the “filled for life” bs, and feel it needs changing at some point, but almost hate to mess with it. Maybe take a small sample of fluid, an ounce or two and see just how dark it is? Replies appreciated

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I fully understand your apprehension to mess with it but I would change the fluid. Not a flush but a drain and refill. I also don't buy the "lifetime fluid" nonsense. If you're not comfortable doing the work yourself, use a local mechanic that you can trust.

They make the process somewhat complicated with fluid temps etc. but I *think* you can bypass that by measuring the volume of what came out and putting the same volume back in. I'm sure people with more experience than me will be along shortly to comment on that.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Todd,

What you "could" try is calling the Ram service dept and see if there is any record of your tranny fluid being changed. If Chrysler did it, it "should" be in their records. Probably a long shot, but worth a call. If you bought it private party, try to contact the owner if possible, or the garage he/she used. If it has been changed, then you saved yourself a lot of work/expense, and can feel good things are on the right path.

Before doing it, watch some videos how to do it. You need to raise the rear of the truck up to get the tranny level to get the fluid right. Not that difficult, but something to be aware of. Yeah, I would change it too if I was in your shoes and it hasn't been done. Smart.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I would change it. There are too many discussions existing to repeat all the debates.

I’d also go to a friendly dealer and request the service history. I bought a used GM a couple of years ago from a private seller, and the local dealer gave me a printout of the entire history from new.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah ...the Ram service guy basically rotated the monitor around and showed me what had been done to my pickup in the past. Let me read it. He was cool about it. I didn't need a service print-out b/c there wasn't that much work performed (mostly warranty), oil changes, etc early on when it was new under warranty. Not much afterwards. So then I performed all the fluid changes and maintenance items.

But I did get a print-out of the build options (which a guy can get online anyway).

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd do it. That fluid is dark, real dark. No need for a fluid sample.

I recently did our Fusion transmission which has 100k. Super dark. It doesn't even have a filter you can replace, so I drained and filled twice (4qt each).

OP
OP
T

ToddS1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I’ve watched the videos and know about the jacking it up, 86-122 degrees, let it shift to 2nd, etc etc, I just have one question…do the jackasses in engineering wanna come get that crossover pipe out of the way of my drain plug?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just have one question…do the jackasses in engineering wanna come get that crossover pipe out of the way of my drain plug?
Lol.

Yeah, the crossover pipe sucks, but it shoudn't be too bad. A stubby or cutdown 10mm hex key should be enough to loosen the drain plug. Some brakleen on a rag will take care of fluid on the crossover pipe.

BEFORE YOU DRAIN THE TRANS:

Crack the fill plug loose first. Hercules was working on the line when my trans was filled, that plug was tight. I had to use a cheater to break it loose.

May your trans service go smoothly.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I’ve watched the videos and know about the jacking it up, 86-122 degrees, let it shift to 2nd, etc etc, I just have one question…do the jackasses in engineering wanna come get that crossover pipe out of the way of my drain plug?

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 28

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would change it. I changed mine at about 70k miles for preventive maintenance; I was changing the other lubes in the truck at that time so did the trans as well.

I bought a new pan and the fluid - went with Maxlife - and after getting under the truck and looking at the crossmember, decided to take it to an independent transmission shop. I really wanted it to be done right. The guy was cool - I asked to see the old fluid and pan... the pan was very clean, no metal on the magnets and the fluid looked and smelled good - maybe I didn't need to change it. But I feel good about having new fluid in there. He charged me $150-160 if I recall - worth it to me.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Yes, drain it, new filter/pan and new pan gasket.
Either OEM trans fluid or, there's another highly recommended brand the brain trust herein recommends.

** Edit - also consider the @caulk04 transmission cooler bypass mod. This is a game changer in terms of keeping the transmission cooler.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would recommend wearing long sleeves for when you check the fluid level. I burned my forearm pretty good the first time I did a drain and fill. I also use one of these...

There are other fluids that you can use besides the OEM, super expensive, and average quality fluid. Many use valvoline maxlife, redline, and amsoil. I plan on trying triax for my next drain and fill. https://www.triaxlubricants.com/triax-euro-car-atf-full-synthetic

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya know those engineers had NO reason to be concerned with the cross over pipe, why would they? Nor did the crossover engineers. If one followed the recommended changes and procedures that all would not matter.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You can build a fluid transfer pump for about 20 bucks using a garden sprayer.
I'd reconmend not using Amzoil or Redline in the 8 speed,either Valvolene Maxlife or the OEM fluid

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had to lift the tail end of the transmission to get the pan clear of the valve body. Replacement pan (Dorman) wouldn't have gone back in w/o lifting the transmission either. 3-15mm nuts on the cross member to remove. I used a small bottle jack to lift the transmission.

The 10mm allen wrench for the drain plug had to be very short to get access to the plug. Less than 3/4".

I used a welder's leather glove to protect my arm from the infamous exhaust crossover pipe.

I did two drain and fills with Valvoline Maxlife.

3 weeks out, no leaks and the transmission is shifting just fine.

If you have the proper tools, jacks/jackstands etc to get the tail end of the truck high enough (my jackstands go to 23" which got the tranny very close to level), it's an easy job IMHO. Well worth the time and effort.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are not sure if/when the trans fluid was changed, and if it doesn't look really good (bright red), I would probably suggest changing it. Putting new fluid in a trans will never make it worse. If the trans already has an issue and worn out, like slipping, it may not fix it...but it won't make it worse. The entire philosophy of changing or flushing the fluid will make a trans fail is an old farmer's tale. That rumor started because of all the people who started having trans issues (slipping, clunkinng, burnt up, etc...) and did a trans fluid change or flush hoping to fix the issue. The trans then fails and they blame it on the trans fluid change, and not the fact the trans was already hurt and on the way out anyway.