Spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathaniel Becker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to replace my spark plugs in my 04 hemi. I'm hoping to get some power back and possibly better fuel mileage. My truck has the original plugs with 253,000 miles on them. How can I prevent them from getting stuck and breaking off? All help is appreciated

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just go slow taking them out. You may have to loosen and then tighten them as you go along. When putting new ones in , a dab of anti seize on the spark plug threads. I would be amazed if they are the originals with that mileage.

OP
OP
Nathaniel Becker

Nathaniel Becker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Karlsweg Thanks. And sadly they are original. It was my dad's truck and he never did any maintenance. It has only had 5 oil changes too. Never changed diff or trans oil either.

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I want to replace my spark plugs in my 04 hemi. I'm hoping to get some power back and possibly better fuel mileage. My truck has the original plugs with 253,000 miles on them. How can I prevent them from getting stuck and breaking off? All help is appreciated

As a precaution, I would drop some penetrating oil down each spark plug hole before you break them loose and then I would put a little more down each hole.

If you damage the threads on a head, there are a few taps available at the local auto parts stores and even spark plug thread heli-coils if they get that bad.

Take your time and you will be fine. I just went through a 2006 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI that was traded in that never had any maintenance performed.

The truck still had the original plugs at 197,000 miles and I was able to get them out without damaging the threads. After I removed all of the original plugs I did chase the threads with a tap just to make sure.

I recommend sticking with a copper spark plug on your 5.7 HEMI. Platinum plugs have been known to cause some issues.

The stock original spark plugs are Champion RE14MCC4 and the auto parts stores have them under Champion #570's. If you look at the numbers on the porcelain you will see the RE14MCC4.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You will probably have more problems with coil boots ripping. Like he said, take it slow.

@Karlsweg Thanks. And sadly they are original. It was my dad's truck and he never did any maintenance. It has only had 5 oil changes too. Never changed diff or trans oil either.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet Jesus, don't flush that transmission, whatever you do.

When/If you chase those plug threads, put some grease on the tap flukes to catch any filings so they don't fall into the cylinders.

Any idea if it has the limited-slip differential (LSD) or just the 9.25" corporate?

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That completely answers the question I had brewing. I wish you the best of luck bringing your truck up to speed.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk