Squeak or Pop When Turning Right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Hey All - Really need some help.

Need some advice on where to look. I have a 2017 RAM 2500 Cummins Laramie, 6'4" bed, 4 wheel drive. When I purchased it, it has a goose neck hitch in the bed, and otherwise factory tires and suspension. When turning a harder right at slower speeds (15 - 20mph), about ninety degrees, almost like you would do at a red light or yield on to another road, it sounds like my passenger side rear wheel area is squeaking and popping. It almost sounds as if the pressure pushing outwards against the tire is doing something, but I cannot isolate the exact area. The best guess I have is rear passenger tire area. It does not do it at high speeds or any other travel condition, just the slower, right hand turns. I have since added an AEV 3" lift and gone to 37" tires and after market wheels, and still have the noise.

I have taken it into the dealership and they said they fixed it but didn't. They also then told me they didn't have time for me to bring it in again when I told them it was not fixed. Awesome.

I've also put in a Four Wheel Camper into the bed now at 950 pounds. I am still getting the noise, but it is significantly harsher and I am concerned something is going to go catastrophically wrong.

Any ideas on areas to check? I've tried to record the sound both in and out of the truck, but can't seem to get it to pick up.

Appreciate any and all help! Picture of truck below.

full

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Adding weight caused it to get worse right away, or did it just get worse over time?

Loud, metalic type noises can travel a long way, making it seem like it's coming from somewhere else.

If still under warranty, I'd find another dealership.

RAM CARES also monitors this forum. Maybe they can get involved if your dealership isn't doing their best to help you.

Good luck.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey All - Really need some help.

Need some advice on where to look. I have a 2017 RAM 2500 Cummins Laramie, 6'4" bed, 4 wheel drive. When I purchased it, it has a goose neck hitch in the bed, and otherwise factory tires and suspension. When turning a harder right at slower speeds (15 - 20mph), about ninety degrees, almost like you would do at a red light or yield on to another road, it sounds like my passenger side rear wheel area is squeaking and popping. It almost sounds as if the pressure pushing outwards against the tire is doing something, but I cannot isolate the exact area. The best guess I have is rear passenger tire area. It does not do it at high speeds or any other travel condition, just the slower, right hand turns. I have since added an AEV 3" lift and gone to 37" tires and after market wheels, and still have the noise.

I have taken it into the dealership and they said they fixed it but didn't. They also then told me they didn't have time for me to bring it in again when I told them it was not fixed. Awesome.

I've also put in a Four Wheel Camper into the bed now at 950 pounds. I am still getting the noise, but it is significantly harsher and I am concerned something is going to go catastrophically wrong.

Any ideas on areas to check? I've tried to record the sound both in and out of the truck, but can't seem to get it to pick up.

Appreciate any and all help! Picture of truck below.

full

Hi Exdeus,

I'm very sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing. Would you mind following up with me via private message to provide your VIN? I would like to look into your situation further on my end to determine how to best assist you at this point. Hope to hear from you soon.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Adding weight caused it to get worse right away, or did it just get worse over time?

Loud, metalic type noises can travel a long way, making it seem like it's coming from somewhere else.

If still under warranty, I'd find another dealership.

RAM CARES also monitors this forum. Maybe they can get involved if your dealership isn't doing their best to help you.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply! It is not under factory warranty, but I did purchase a wrap warranty from the dealer I bought it from. I have to say I am impressed that RAM CARE responded to the post as I wasn't aware that was a thing. I will reply to them tonight.

The problem is the sound is VERY inconsistent. It does it some times, others it won't. I've gotten suggestions it may be the limited slip working, but I've taken the same turns in two RAM 1500's I previously owned and never had this happen. I wouldn't think the 2500's would be that drastically different. I am going to try and strap a GoPro to the frame this weekend and see if I can simulate it and get it on video to help diagnose. I know that sounds are very hard to find.

Adding the weight did not change how often it happens, but it changed the tone of the sound quite a bit. When the bed was empty, it had a higher pitch, almost a squeaking and subtle popping noise. With the weight in the bed, the noise is drastically deeper in tone. I know that is incredibly vague, but that is the best way I can describe it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to pick up on my phone when recording.

I do appreciate the response - thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Hi Exdeus,

I'm very sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing. Would you mind following up with me via private message to provide your VIN? I would like to look into your situation further on my end to determine how to best assist you at this point. Hope to hear from you soon.

Mark
RamCares

Hi Mark -

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I truly do appreciate it. I'm a huge RAM fan, as is my family. I will send that information your way tonight.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi Mark -

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I truly do appreciate it. I'm a huge RAM fan, as is my family. I will send that information your way tonight.

Hi Exdeus,

You are most welcome, thank you for getting that over to me! I have just responded to your message and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Mark
RamCares

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorcalRamGuy