Steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonx4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Okay, so I bought my truck off my bro in-law, and I really have no idea how he was even able to drive it. I found the thread telling how to adjust it, and so I did. I noticed a small difference so I adjusted again, and repeated, again and again, so on and so forth. Well, I still have a little bit of slack, and the other day, I went to adjust it, and the adjustment screw wouldn't tighten anymore. It still re-centers, and it is not difficult to turn, but there is still slack!

I have been under the truck with it idling, and checked everything for slack. I even jacked it up and looked for slack in steering/suspension. The steering box doesn't look like it has slack in it, but it obviously does.

So the local salvage yards have some Rams in them. My question is, how do I tell if the box is any good? Should I just tighten the screw and see if it makes the steering effort increase? Because it obviously never got too tight on mine.

Are there any compatible donors, like GM's? Upgrades? Thoughts?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
You want to be careful you don't over tighten the screw...you'll end up doing more harm than good because you are literaly jamming one gear into another. You may have already killed your box. Not a matter of if but when...
Your slack might be in the column itself. There's a bushing in there that breaks down over time.
Some people will replace the entire shaft with a Borenson unit...or you could try this...

'Rock Solid' Ram Truck Steering !

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jonx4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Okay, I visited the website. I checked my column, and mine does not have any of that play. The wheel feels tight. It doesn't move around, and there is no noise. Its nice and tight. The intermediate shaft is tight. No play.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
could be the gearbox shaft flexing. A steering box brace would fix that. as far as a upgraded box, both PSC motorsports and Red Head steering boxes are a good upgrade.

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did the same thing when i first got my truck. it also leaked from the box which was an immediate sign that something was wrong. the box is really easy to replace its like three bolts on the frame but the downside was it was like $180. like stated above i would get the brace too for extra support and the only regret i have is not getting an upgraded one like reddot mentioned for not that much more than the crappy reman one i got.

OP
OP
J

jonx4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Thanks!

Last edited:

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
what about the track bar? ive heard the track bars wear easily on these too and can cause the crappy steering and wandering. I thought about replacin mine, but after seein that link for rock solid and watchin their video, their kit might fix mine bc i know i have that clunk when i turn the wheel too..

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
my dodge had some slack as well and i replaced my track bar and it went back tight as new lol ill prolly buy that support ot make my own soon lol

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I went and checked my steering shaft today. I couldnt find the spring that rock solid was talkin about, but the whole shaft itself did have some slight movement to it. but, i can turn the shaft by hand from under the hood maybe 2-3 inches..? so idk if its the track bar now...could be the steering box maybe...

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Replace both you'll be glad you did! Park the car on the street have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth and see if there's any movement in the bushings for the track bar. Mine was blown when I tested that. But it's probably a good idea to replace the box

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Replace both you'll be glad you did! Park the car on the street have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth and see if there's any movement in the bushings for the track bar. Mine was blown when I tested that. But it's probably a good idea to replace the box
Yeah, i need to do that track bar test lol i just havent gotten to it yet so you know how that goes.. but i was thinkin about the box too. but ill see what the track bars like first, then go to the steering box dependin on how things go.