Struggling to get definitive answer on knuckle clearance.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKosiba95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So I'm looking into getting a 4 inch lift for my 2013 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman. Its currently using the air suspension which I despise.

My question is I have 17x10 Fuel Vapors -18mm offset/4.79BS and 285/75 tires. What lift kits will fit with this with or without wheel spacers? Both Superlift and RC customer service have said that even with spacers their knuckles will not fit but I've seen some people saying they do. I don't want to drop $1500 on a lift kit only to find out it won't work with my wheels. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks,

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a RC 4” lift kit on my 13 1500 Sport. I have Fuel Assualt 17x10 wheels right now and they fit. I believe they’re a -20 offset (I’m probably wrong on that but it’s the bigger of the 2 offsets for that wheel). I read where RC said that I had to have 20” rims to work with their lifts. It turns out that they used the stock knuckles and I was fine. So if you keep the stock knuckles you should be fine. If the kit that you get has their knuckles you’ll either have to get a bigger offset or bigger wheels to clear their knuckle.

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
Not sure on 4”, but I know most 6” lift kits supply upgraded knuckles that have clearance issues with 17” wheels. Most require at least a 2” spacer or to bump up to 18”.

I’m having the same issue. My original setup was a set of 17x9 fuel wheels -12mm offset. They didn’t clear my 6” pro comp lift kit’s knuckles and I ran 2” spacers in order to clear.

I later switched out to 18x9s and am fine now.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm looking into getting a 4 inch lift for my 2013 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman. Its currently using the air suspension which I despise.

My question is I have 17x10 Fuel Vapors -18mm offset/4.79BS and 285/75 tires. What lift kits will fit with this with or without wheel spacers? Both Superlift and RC customer service have said that even with spacers their knuckles will not fit but I've seen some people saying they do. I don't want to drop $1500 on a lift kit only to find out it won't work with my wheels. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks,

If you have air suspension I think your limited to either BDS or AEV. BDS requires 4.5" backspacing with 17's and AEV doesn't mention 17's so you might want to call them.

You cannot use OEM knuckles with any brand lift that lowers the front diff/LCA etc

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JKosiba95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'll be deleting the air suspension entirely and swapping over. Just getting the lift kit at the same time.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be deleting the air suspension entirely and swapping over. Just getting the lift kit at the same time.

Oh ok great, you could always install some small 10mm wheel spacers

This member has some for sale

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/several-4th-gen-items-for-sale.160127/

The issue with running 17's is the tie rod can hit the wheel or stick on wheel weights, the more backspacing the greater the chance it'll rub due to the tie rod being deeper inside the wheel. Some wheels "may fit" if the design doesn't taper towards the center.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca