Sudden No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Claydus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Started up just fine this morning. What changed? About 10 degrees in air temperature.

It's at a local shop now and of course they haven't be able to diagnose it yet.

I need it this afternoon to pickup my kids from school. So I will have to take it back tomorrow.

Sigh...

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read post there was a problem with the push button starter switch, see if you can when it's not acting up if you can select from ignition on to Acc by pushing the switch.

OP
OP
C

Claydus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not so sure about the push start switch, but won't rule it out.

What is the possibility of there be something that could be draining the battery overnight? I literally have no aftermarket accessories whatsoever on the truck.

I am planning on getting truck back in a few hours and doing some amp draw tests.

OP
OP
C

Claydus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright so the local shop couldn't replicate the issue... no surprise

Spoke to the service manager and they noted 3 things:

#1 - Code Present: P1B13 Park by wire. Out of park position. Cleared code test drove and did not reset.
**I had to put the truck into the manual neutral position by pulling the cord. I wonder if this caused this code?**

#2 - Software Update - 08-144-22 - Drivetrain Control Module

#3 - Software Update - 18-062-20 REV A - Powertrain Control Module

On another note, I did a parasitic battery drain test with a volt meter set to monitor AMP draw. Showing waaayy under 1 AMP being drawn.

OP
OP
C

Claydus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something else I did when I looking at the AMP draw. Some of the fuses were not seated all the way done in their slots.

I remove an old iphone charging cable that did have a slight break in the outter jacket. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

Truck ran fine all weekend. Cranked every time.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something else I did when I looking at the AMP draw. Some of the fuses were not seated all the way done in their slots.

There have been numerous notifications posted at Ram Forum for users to verify that all of the fuses in the TIPM are properly seated before pursuing any electrical gremlins.

This activity of pushing all the fuses in should be included as a regular maintenance activity and completed once or twice per year.

This is a well known feature and I hope you pushed them all the way in.

You didn't indicate any action upon noticing this condition. :cool:

OP
OP
C

Claydus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The no start has returned!

Friday 10/21 at 11:15AM - After starting the truck twice today. I got the problematic no start again.

Something else to note, I hear an initial click of the starter solenoid when the truck goes to the run position. Then after 5 seconds or so there is another click of the solenoid. I had a buddy jump me off to get me going. I am taking it back to the shop on Monday. I pretty much told the shop to put a starter on the truck. I have no warranty so taking it to the dealer was just begging me to get ripped off.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Okay, I have not read ALL the posts since my last one, and while I applaud trying to troubleshoot the issue (as I did), this is a factory warranty covered issue... Take it to the dealer and let them figure it out and fix it.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Okay, I have not read ALL the posts since my last one, and while I applaud trying to troubleshoot the issue (as I did), this is a factory warranty covered issue... Take it to the dealer and let them figure it out and fix it.
His truck is a 2020, the warranty may be expired.

OP
OP
C

Claydus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dropped off truck again at the same local shop that I visited 2 weeks ago. Told them the exact same stuff with the voltage and starting patterns of the truck. Told them just to put a starter in and call it a day. However, they advised that they wanted to reproduce starting issue... and they finally saw it for themselves. Multiple techs agreed that the starter was the most logical thing to replace. It was replaced earlier today.

I picked up the truck and noted the new starter sound completely different. It's like the old starter (I guess Mopar brand) had a not a fast of engagement or just was flat out just worn out. The new one has a higher/healthier pitch when the truck is started. It honestly feels like a completely different truck now.

Case closed. When in doubt, it's not the damn battery. The experts on the RAM Facebook group chirping about batteries left and right with starting issues. I think I am 4th person in the past week that has posted about the exact starter issues.

RacerRon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just had the exact same issue on my 21 6.4 (41000 miles) Click but no spin of the starter. After testing battery and ground resistance, I removed the starter and took to a local starter and alternator shop. One of the four brush holders was broken and the brush was worn very uneven. This has probably been this way since brand new. It finally lost contact with the commentator and no spin. Everything else in the starter looked like new. Installed a new brush holder assembly (witch appears to be changed in design slightly) and starter now spins faster than it ever has.

Juice17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just happened to my truck again. Have an appointment at dealer next week. I popped the panel on lower left pulled orange ribbon while trying to start and fired up. It did throw a p0850 code about park switch. This is first time it has not started in 2 weeks. Something more for me to tell dealer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357