Synergy drag link issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
About 3 months ago I installed Synergys drag link and tie rod steering upgrade kit, and immediately had the truck aligned after install.
The first alignment was terrible, the shop totally screwed it up,so they redid it and according to the printout they gave me it was spot on- but it still has really weird bump steer on highway transitions and its inconsistent in pulling right or left depending on highway lanes. And I've been hearing a popping sound backing out of my driveway at full lock.

So I was under the truck rechecking torqued hardware, and noticed I could grab the drag link and twist it 30 or so degrees either direction until it clicks against the ball joint stops.

So I figure thats where my popping sound is coming from- and wouldn't this also constantly change my steering wheel being centered as it rotates while driving down the road?

I've got a few Thuren bits and all that stuff is rock solid- but this Synergy bar has quite alot of slop.

Any others notice this or have trouble?
Thanks in advance

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if the truck was driving fine before installing the new drag link then why on gods green earth would you go to a shop and let some incompetant bafoon start turning wrenches on it? huge mistake. you installed the synergy link? the pitman arm side has a single plane joint so theres no way the bar can rotate 30*. unless you didnt get that pinch bolt tight. or unless they messed up and gave you the wrong link with common joints on both ends. before you call into question the link, be sure it was installed proper and theres not other mechanical steering problems with the vehicle

OP
OP
B

Boosted86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I installed all parts, truck only sees an alignment shop since I don't have that equipment.
Here are some pictures of the joint flexed either direction at both ends of the bar.

I've seen others on the net complain of drag link flop specifically to Synergy bars. Is that all that im noticing and there's no issue?

20200530_123331.jpg

20200530_123323.jpg

20200530_123317.jpg

20200530_123308.jpg

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the pinch bolts need to be 90ftlb. if you didnt use a torq wrench then your just guessing and probly no where near 90. if its under torq the joints turn inside the bar and allow it to flop. like i said the top joint should be single plane and cant let the bar rotate

OP
OP
B

Boosted86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Everything's been checked with a torque wrench and again after several hundred miles and again this morning.
The adjuster sleeve does not turn within the bar- but the pitman arm side ball joint will rotate within the adjuster sleeve.

If it comes to ill knock the pitman arm side out and make sure the ball joint is truly a single plane joint. The way I understand it it should only be able to move axially from pitman arm to knuckle and not flop over from engine to tailgate

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if bolts are tight then it seems clear they gave you the wrong top joint. im sure they could ship you the correct one monday

SRich2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Everything's been checked with a torque wrench and again after several hundred miles and again this morning.
The adjuster sleeve does not turn within the bar- but the pitman arm side ball joint will rotate within the adjuster sleeve.

If it comes to ill knock the pitman arm side out and make sure the ball joint is truly a single plane joint. The way I understand it it should only be able to move axially from pitman arm to knuckle and not flop over from engine to tailgate

The Ball joint should not be able to move inside the adjuster!! There is a slot in the adjuster sleeve that is supposed to be align with the slot on the adjuster so the they will clamp down on both!!! Looks like your adjuster sleeve is to far in to get a good clamp. I would move the adjuster out and turn the joint in so that it is still the same length so that it can clamp better per instructions.

Attachments

• 8701-01-INST.A Drag Link.pdf
    999.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the slots dont need to be lined up. infact they likely wont line up to get the steering wheel straight. the pinch bolt clamps it regardless of slot position. his problem is he doesnt have a single plane joint on the pitman arm side. they probly goofed and installed the wrong joint

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
wait a minute. the ball joint is turning inside the sleeve ? jesus christ thats the problem. i didnt even notice you posted that. you didnt torq the bolt correct and i had a hunch you didnt torq it correct. you need to tightn the nut not the bolt head

bighorntactical

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 crew cab
Engine
i had two sets of these installed to help keep the grease in place since they keep everything aligned and not able to flog you can't run the dust boots with these but don't need to steering is solid and good, I also had a small piece of metal spot welded to the adjustment nut and the drag link bar to keep the nut in place figured worth the trouble since the steering wheel is centered I wont need to do any adjustment anytime soon

https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jk-low-misalignment-tre-dust-boots.html?category_id=5990

these work on HD RAM's