The Impossible Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Are yall noticing any significant impact on mpg with the 10 ply tires? Coming from the jeep world I had 10ply on my gladiator and while they were good for towing, the mpg loss was significant. Id love to replace the stock tires sooner than later, but im having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole P rate vs 10ply.

I tow a 6k lbs travel trailer a couple thousand miles a year, with my camping season being March through November.
Look for an 8 Ply tire I think they still make a critter like that, I know many say a P will work, my self coming from the trucking industry I could never bring my self to run a passenger tire on a pickup truck...

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Are yall noticing any significant impact on mpg with the 10 ply tires? Coming from the jeep world I had 10ply on my gladiator and while they were good for towing, the mpg loss was significant. Id love to replace the stock tires sooner than later, but im having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole P rate vs 10ply.

I tow a 6k lbs travel trailer a couple thousand miles a year, with my camping season being March through November.
Not really.

I run 10ply Michelins on the 2500 in my sig and I'm seeing 22-23 mpg empty on the interstate. The wife runs the same Michelin Defenders in SL range tires (4ply) on her Armada and she has only seen 18mpg at best on the interstate.

I had 2 Jeeps and both got horrible mpg anyhow. My TJ could only eek out about 13 on stock sized tires and her Rubicon only managed 14.5-15 on stock tires. The shape of a Jeep kills the mpg more than the tires I think.

Gren71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not really.

I run 10ply Michelins on the 2500 in my sig and I'm seeing 22-23 mpg empty on the interstate. The wife runs the same Michelin Defenders in SL range tires (4ply) on her Armada and she has only seen 18mpg at best on the interstate.

I had 2 Jeeps and both got horrible mpg anyhow. My TJ could only eek out about 13 on stock sized tires and her Rubicon only managed 14.5-15 on stock tires. The shape of a Jeep kills the mpg more than the tires I think.
Thanks! I was getting 21-22 on my gladiator with firestone destination AT2s. Stinks they have such a poor ware rating though. They are a fantastic tire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517