Tire Change (Wheel Skin Damage)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chucky44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Hi guys,

I went to have my new tires put on my truck a couple of weeks ago and I noticed a week after while putting gas in the truck that there was damage to 2 wheel skins on my wheels. There is a dent in 2 wheels on the driver side for each wheel. Both dents are identical meaning that they are basically at the same spot on the rim and the dent looks the same on both wheels. Went to talk to the service guy and gave me the run around at the time, saying they use the machine to grip the tires for the bottom and won't damage the wheel there. I figured this would from the pry bar anyways. Emailed the company and the manager from the store called me today and wants me to go and talk to the head mechanic over there. Pretty sure he will deny the whole thing anyways, but I wanted your opinion on it. I'm not a mechanic but my opinion on it would be that the damage was done with the pry bar when taking off the old tires. Would that make sense? I know there are some flat bars but I mean it looks to me like some of them would pry against the rim and would have caused this.

Here's a pic of one of them.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r45jVAabRBEX4g2FM1dglJEWZsj51b9w/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if you can't see the pic.

Thanks.

OP
OP
C

Chucky44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Hi,

Anyone knows if it possible to buy just the wheel skins for these?

I am in Canada so I prefer somewhere that can ship here.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Doesn't look like tire machine damage to me. Modern machine don't come anywhere near the face of the rim. Anyways... yes, you can order the skins. Google "ram wheel skins" and you'll see lots of resellers. Check eBay as well.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any tire tech that used a pry bar to free the wheel from the hub when removing from the truck should be fired.

That is a surefire way to damage a wheel and I can't believe anyone who does this for a living would do that, you must have gotten the new guy.

Unfortunately it will be impossible to prove since you did not notice it before you left their shop.

Imposter also makes wheels skins for the Ram. A few people here have them.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to google what this wheel skin thing was :)

Op, What do you have behind the wheel skins?, It'll be free to toss all 4 out, just saying....

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used to manage a shop and we changed tires a lot. I have never seen this type of damage done my changing a tire.

OP
OP
C

Chucky44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I had to google what this wheel skin thing was :)

Op, What do you have behind the wheel skins?, It'll be free to toss all 4 out, just saying....

They came factory with the truck, it's just an aluminum rim in the back. The skins fits over the rim.

polock48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone found a pat number for a 2015 RAM 20" skins? I have the factory skins and all I found was skins that said make sure "your wheels looks like this". I haven't found any ones that look like my skins. Thanks

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
That almost looks melted. Maybe the way the picture was taken, but it looks like the material was heated, smeared, then cracked when it rehardened. Where else have you had work done to the truck?