Too Expensive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 6 speed 4x4. Took it in to the dealer for transmission and differential service. Total was $726 and that was after a $44 discount.

Does this sound high? It was more than I was expecting but I know the fluids are not cheap.

Curious if anyone else with similar truck has had these services.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I do not have the same truck but, dealership service departments are typically high in price. I would say you definitely over paid. On the other hand, if you’re not physically able to do the service yourself, I personally would take it to a local mechanic shop you trust. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
I do not have the same truck but, dealership service departments are typically high in price. I would say you definitely over paid. On the other hand, if you’re not physically able to do the service yourself, I personally would take it to a local mechanic shop you trust. Just my 2 cents.
Actually I’ve found its opposite. My dealer is around $170/hr on service work. There are 3 ASE certified mechanic shops in my town and all 3 are at least $200/hr for any type of work. One shop is $60 higher for an oil change than my dealer and that’s with lesser oil (my dealer used Penzoil ultra platinum which is more than what most drive through oil change places uses).

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So on the tranny service, did they drop the pan and replace the filter? Some places just suck out the fluid and swap it, w/o changing the filter. I know they get and arm and a leg for the mopar fluids too. I guess as long as your happy with their service, price is what it is.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
So on the tranny service, did they drop the pan and replace the filter? Some places just suck out the fluid and swap it, w/o changing the filter. I know they get and arm and a leg for the mopar fluids too. I guess as long as your happy with their service, price is what it is.
Good question yes they did and of course installed a new trans pan gasket. Also in the diffs they pulled the covers, drained all oil and installed new cover gaskets.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Does this sound high?
You asked if that sounds high for what you had done, for what amounts to not much more that just a fluid/filter swap, I believe it is.

Actually I’ve found its opposite. My dealer is around $170/hr on service work. There are 3 ASE certified mechanic shops in my town and all 3 are at least $200/hr for any type of work. One shop is $60 higher for an oil change than my dealer and that’s with lesser oil (my dealer used Penzoil ultra platinum which is more than what most drive through oil change places uses).
Sounds like you already had a pretty good idea if who you took it to was charging to much. I’ve had a less than stellar experience at my local dealership service department, hence the recommendation for a local mechanic you trust. I personally will only take my truck to the dealership for warranty work and I do all my own maintenance work and keep up with the receipts.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure why it matters after the fact. You got it done, appears all is good, and your are enjoying the ride, I would say the money was well spent. For future services it would be good to investigate around your area for recommendations and reviews. Asking random people from around North America will get you everything from sounds right to that was expensive to what a deal.

I am always willing to pay top dollar for the very best service, and that just isn't for the immediate issue. I have patronized a higher cost shop near me for over 12 years. Could I save a buck, maybe. But they get me right in whenever needed for all our vehicles, never wait more than a day (99% of the time same day) for parts even during COVID when I needed a part no one could find, they have great contacts. And no matter what has been needed, I am back on the road quickly. That is why they are worth it to me.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Not sure why it matters after the fact. You got it done, appears all is good, and your are enjoying the ride, I would say the money was well spent. For future services it would be good to investigate around your area for recommendations and reviews. Asking random people from around North America will get you everything from sounds right to that was expensive to what a deal.
I like the service department at the dealership I use. For me I find value in using the same business for service because when it comes time to use my extended warranty they will be more likely to stand up to the extended warranty company when they deny a claim (most always do at some point). I wanted to make sure I wasn’t being taken advantage of.

I did reach out to another Ram dealer and asked for a quote to do this work and never heard back from them which has been my experience with numerous dealers service departments.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
don't feel bad...i paid a dealer $500 to change the spark plugs in my former 2011 Hemi.

price i paid for being too lazy to do them myself

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That price is probably reasonable to have a dealer do the work....however I personally think that is ridiculous to pay somebody that IF you can do it yourself. I'm fortunate enough to have the knowledge, tools, and a shop to do all of my own service work. If somebody wants to do the work themselves, changing the fluids in the diffs is one of the easiest maintenance items a person can do. Just did this to my rear diff and it cost $65 in gear lube and took 30 minutes. No reason you can't re-use the gasket.

426power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dealership was the same in price. I ended up doing the difs and transfer case myself and then had a local shop service the tranny. It was much cheaper that way, but I had access to a lift which made life nice.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
My dealership was the same in price. I ended up doing the difs and transfer case myself and then had a local shop service the tranny. It was much cheaper that way, but I had access to a lift which made life nice.
Yeah I used to be able to do stuff like this myself. Lately between tendinitis in my elbow and now in my knee I can barely hold a beer! Getting old sucks a$$.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unbelievable isn’t it when mechanical services are $180-$200/ hr .. that is just robbery.. medical surgery maybe.. flushing a rad/ transmission.. something needs to change!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2014 HD has never been touched by anyone other than a Ram dealer..... mainly to keep my Lifetime MaxCare warranty in place but also because I get to write off vehicle maintenance and because I'm getting lazy as I get older. "Differential Service" at my dealer was around $450 and included a fluid swap on the xfer case, front and rear diffs. Seemed like a fair deal to me. Tranny service? Unfortunately or fortunately from a service $$ standpoint my truck's tranny hasn't made it far enough for this to be a question. I had failures at 38K and 90K and am now at 130K so no need to do any service. Overall, I'm happy with my dealer and their service but totally get the counterpoint of doing things yourself.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I remember paying $300 something dollars for my 66RFE transmission service (filters and fluid). As for the diff's, I just vacuum out the old fluid and fill with Redline. Takes about 10 minutes.