Traction Control - Pros and Cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMblin_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 liter V6
On dry pavement, in warm weather, is there any good reason to leave traction control on when just driving it, but not hauling or towing anything? Does it reduce MPG when it's on? My truck's acceleration seems to be suppressed when traction control is on, almost like if the brakes are dragging slightly. I'm in a 2012 1500 ST V6 2WD.

Also, when towing or hauling on dry payment, warm weather, (tow/haul mode switched on) should traction control be on or off?
Thanks.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Traction control only kicks in when the computers sense wheel spin via the wheel speed sensors. It does nothing for fuel economy at all.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
About the only time you need to turn off the traction control is when you want the wheels to spin, there time driving in snow where wheel spin will help keep you from getting stuck.
On dry or wet pavement leave the traction control on, as mentioned above it doesn't hurt fuel economy.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it feels like a brake dragging you may want to take a live scanner have someone watch wheel speed while driving to make sure they’re all registering properly. Could have one starting to go bad

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coast to a stop after a drive and see if any wheel is hotter than the other if you suspect drag.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I had a noticeable coasting improvement when the dealership freed my sticky parking brake. If you notice the cable sagging even slightly it needs service.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As already mentioned above, there are some scan tools that will read live ABS data. Each wheel has a sensor on it. Each sensor should read the same MPH give or take. When the computer senses a different mph on one wheel it will apply the brake to the wheel that indicates the different speed to "slow it down". When that happens you will feel a loss in power and it will feel like the ABS is activated like you were skidding. If you're feeling the loss of power simply by turning g traction control on then you may have a bad sensor telling the computer to apply that brake. If you don't have access to a good scan tool them I'd recommend taking it in to your mechanic and let them look at it