Trailer plug Issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
2014 Ram 1500 EcoD 4x4 CC...

No park lights, no left side through the OEM plug Snapped into the bumper. Swap the fuse for the park lights, and they now work, but the left side turn signal does not. Works at the harness, but not through the plug. Already swapped out the plug in the bumper, same issue. Any thoughts?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Ground wire

Black 20 Ram

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
A bad ground will affect the turn signals

Black 20 Ram

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is actually 6 fuses for the 7 pin trailer plug:
F53 ATR 20 amp Left Trailer lights
F81 ATR 20 amp Right Trailer lights
F29 FMM 20 amp Trailer Park lights
F28 FMM 20 amp Trailer Back up lights
F30 FMM 30 amp Direct from battery
F11 J Case 30 amp Brake Lever

Each of the lighting circuits are individually controlled by a relay from the BCM.
Do you have have power at the plug behind the bumper? If not you'll need to get to the wiring harness inside the front driver's wheel well

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I had this same issue. When the plug goes into the bumper...the female end was lose around the male. Squeezed it a bit and it made the contact.

If everything else above checks out...try that.

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
A bad ground will affect the turn signals

Black 20 Ram

Copy that.

There is actually 6 fuses for the 7 pin trailer plug:
F53 ATR 20 amp Left Trailer lights
F81 ATR 20 amp Right Trailer lights
F29 FMM 20 amp Trailer Park lights
F28 FMM 20 amp Trailer Back up lights
F30 FMM 30 amp Direct from battery
F11 J Case 30 amp Brake Lever

Each of the lighting circuits are individually controlled by a relay from the BCM.
Do you have have power at the plug behind the bumper? If not you'll need to get to the wiring harness inside the front driver's wheel well

All powers up at the plug that goes INTO the trailer plug.

I had this same issue. When the plug goes into the bumper...the female end was lose around the male. Squeezed it a bit and it made the contact.

If everything else above checks out...try that.

I literally BANGED the two connectors together under the truck, and it all works out fine. As soon as I snap the plug into the other, and then into the bumper, nothing.

How’d you squeeze it?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'd I'm understanding this correctly, you have power at the plug behind the bumper but when you plug that into the back of the bumper it doesn't work? (Have I interpreted the problem correctly?)
If that's the case, sounds like the problem is with the pins in the plug that goes into the back of the bumper.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My 2 cents, could be corrosion in the plug, Look in the socket and try cleaning it , then add a tiny bit of dielectric grease .
Do you have a 12v tester ? If so with power on stick the probe in each socket and the other to the frame. If you have 12v on that bit light does not work sound like a bad ground connection.. Please update what you do find

OP
OP

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I'd I'm understanding this correctly, you have power at the plug behind the bumper but when you plug that into the back of the bumper it doesn't work? (Have I interpreted the problem correctly?)
If that's the case, sounds like the problem is with the pins in the plug that goes into the back of the bumper.

I would think the same thing, which is why I replaced the plug. I still have the same issue.

My 2 cents, could be corrosion in the plug, Look in the socket and try cleaning it , then add a tiny bit of dielectric grease .
Do you have a 12v tester ? If so with power on stick the probe in each socket and the other to the frame. If you have 12v on that bit light does not work sound like a bad ground connection.. Please update what you do find

Pulled it back apart last night, and same situation. All power at the plug behind bumper, but once connected, the R side doesn’t have power. There is only one pin in the harness end that looks to be deeper than the rest, and it’s not part of the current equation. See pics and I’m working on a video:

d6d025f870b7f37dbf6f3739927c5d18.jpg
8ea6059370dcaa74d9ab79ebb02415ba.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So, just tighten up the spaces on the female side of the plug?
The inside part of the pins are like a spring that make contact when the other half is plugged in. Usually can bend them up so they make contact, sometimes they're broken.You might end up having to replace the pins though.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
@4eyedconekiller

The one at the top and the next 2 to the right are exactly like mine was. As I stated above...although maybe misunderstood...they need squeezed back together.

The one on the top may need pulled back also.

The only thing that can be the issue of you have power at all the males...is that the male and female are not rubbing together hard enough.

Or when you are making the coupling they are bent away from the hole or in the case of the top one...pushed too far in.

Use needle nose plyers and squeeze them all together. Then be sure the male is going in the female hole.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I would think the same thing, which is why I replaced the plug. I still have the same issue.

Pulled it back apart last night, and same situation. All power at the plug behind bumper, but once connected, the R side doesn’t have power. There is only one pin in the harness end that looks to be deeper than the rest, and it’s not part of the current equation. See pics and I’m working on a video:

d6d025f870b7f37dbf6f3739927c5d18.jpg
8ea6059370dcaa74d9ab79ebb02415ba.jpg

I do not know the pin configuration but if you go from the pin that's pushed in to ground do you have power ? That pin to any of the other pins do you get power ? I would try and push that pin back up to where the others are !
That depressed plug looks like #5 in the picture https://www.google.com/search?q=201...oAs&client=firefox-b-1-d#imgrc=mvaz7RO88ljJ_M and that is left signal if I read it right !

Last edited:

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With trailer connectors dielectric grease is a lifesaver. Check all the connections, separate, clean, grease, reseal. 99.9% of all trailer light failures are on the trailer side once the bumper plug is eliminated. Boat trailers are the worst.