Tranny Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I've had a problem with my ram for a while and haven't figured it out.
I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500, 5.9, 4x4.
It's a two fold problem and I think they are related.
Problem one: When I start it in the morning and I put it in either drive or reverse, it take a lot of gas to get it moving. But once it starts to move I don't have a problem. I have the torque back again and it won't do it anymore.
Problem two: This is hard to explain. When I'm driving around 45-55, I'll let of the gas and the rpm's will drop and when I slowly start giving it gas again, it'll start to rattle. But if I give it quarter throttle or more, it will stop doing it. It only does it below 2000 rpm's and and at certain speeds.
Has anyone else had these problems???
I'm thinking the torque converter but I don't know.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Check your tranny fluid (engine running, flat level ground) what color is it, how much do you have, how does it feel

OP
OP
R

Richard1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The color is good (redish, not brown or black). The fluid level is good and i recently changed out the tranny filter hoping it would fix this problem, but it didnt.

OP
OP
R

Richard1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also something else that i thought of was a little while ago, i was pulling a boat (22ft pontoon) for about an hour and my tranny temp light came on. I pulled over, check the fluid, let it sit and cool off and it was good. I only had to drive another ten minutes and then i was home.
The second time this was happening, i was on the highway running 75 for about and hour and a half and it did the same thing.
Both times i was running the truck pretty hard, but it hasn't happened again.

Last edited:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Need to pull the fluid out again and smell it. Probably burnt your clutches and the fluid. Sad to say but you may need a rebuild.