Transmission filter and fluid change !!! (3.6 Pentastar Specific Please)!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stooler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could you guys please help me with my 2018 3.6 SLT? I know my transmission is the 845RE.

What I don't know:

Do the same pans fit both my transmission and the HEMI transmission?
Please identify by name (my rat$hit computer does not follow links well)
(I think my transmission does NOT take the same fluid as the HEMI transmission. I saw a reference to Lubeguard 8 fluid but could not find that exact product.)
What transmission fluid (MOPAR and other brands) should I use? Please identify by name.
Is the fluid replacement process the same as I have seen for the HEMI transmission? If different, could someone please explain?
I'm 81 years old, I have had 2 RAM HEMIs and this is my second RAM Pentastar. This Forum keeps me crawling all over my truck, ignoring the aches and pains, and loving every minute. Thanks, Guys, stooler.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Could you guys please help me with my 2018 3.6 SLT? I know my transmission is the 845RE.

What I don't know:

Do the same pans fit both my transmission and the HEMI transmission?
Please identify by name (my rat$hit computer does not follow links well)
(I think my transmission does NOT take the same fluid as the HEMI transmission. I saw a reference to Lubeguard 8 fluid but could not find that exact product.)
What transmission fluid (MOPAR and other brands) should I use? Please identify by name.
Is the fluid replacement process the same as I have seen for the HEMI transmission? If different, could someone please explain?
I'm 81 years old, I have had 2 RAM HEMIs and this is my second RAM Pentastar. This Forum keeps me crawling all over my truck, ignoring the aches and pains, and loving every minute. Thanks, Guys, stooler.
Yes, your 845RE is essentially the same transmission as the 8HP70 used in the Hemi. The difference is the 845RE is manufactured directly by Chrysler under license from the original German Manufacturer ZF. Many Fluids are compatible if you want to go OEM use the ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid. If you want to save money and use what most people recommend on the 8-Speed transmissions, use Valvoline Maxlife ATF. All pans that fit the 8HP70 will fit your 845RE. The most important part to consider when changing your fluid is to level the transmission and not the truck. This means jacking the rear of the truck up around 9 inches (I'm told, haven't tried it yet).

I'm in the process of doing this on my 3.6L/845RE now. I purchased the higher capacity PPE aluminum pan and will be starting the fluid swap this weekend.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm doing the transmission pan change today. If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them while it's fresh in my head...

OP
OP
S

stooler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for that generous offer. I'm just back from illness and still kind of recovering. If you did note any tricks or gotcha's I am all ears.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for that generous offer. I'm just back from illness and still kind of recovering. If you did note any tricks or gotcha's I am all ears.
I moved my conversation on it over to a thread with lots of participation to get advice myself. You can start reading here for my experience...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djse7en