Truck Camper weights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Is putting a Truck camper on a Ram truck any different than any other weight a person might put on the truck? Just curious if Ram has a chart or different ratings for truck campers as opposed to any other weight. I believe GM has a special rating for truck campers. TIA.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
A truck camper would be pure payload. As long as you aren't over your axle ratings though, you're probably good.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Truck camper would be payload. Be careful if you have a 2500 Cummins cause you already have a low payload compared to most 2500's (probably around 2100lbs-ish). Depending on how much stuff you will be carrying (passengers included) to stay legal you are probably looking at a max camper weight of about 1500-1800lbs.

I have also heard people question campers on the 2500 with the rear coil springs. I can't speak for this but someone will probably chime in with better info on that.

OP
OP
JRS950

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
A truck camper would be pure payload. As long as you aren't over your axle ratings though, you're probably good.

That's what thought. Again, I believe both Ford and GM have specific guidelines for using a truck camper on their respective vehicles. dhay13, my truck is not a 2500. I'm well aware of the limitations on the CTD 2500 Rams.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Archimedes would take one look and say "Yeah, that works too".

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Toddbigboy Truck has it on the Money--just ONE miss calculation of the payload and tongue weight load leads to the camper running your life not you running and enjoying its life. It looks like he didn't calculate the tongue weight loss that needs to be added when adding a camper, it really makes a difference in lowering your available tongue weight. That is one heavy camper for the truck he has with the trailer he has. Looks like his drop leg for the camper was left done also. The rear frame tie down laying on the ground says a lot about the quality of the frame mounted tie downs.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Many people like to ignore payload numbers. Not that a 2500 would suffer this fate with a slide in camper but a 2500 Cummins would be quite overloaded with that camper, let alone the trailer too

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
We are on our 2nd Northstar "pop-up" truck camper for the payload reason. We really like Northstar's quality and features. If I was in the market for a new truck I would get a 3500 next time. I do have the rear air suspension and 4:10 which I think is essential. Not all truck camper Mfg. weigh each unit. Make sure you get actual loaded weights. Water alone can change the weight by a couple of hundred pounds or more.

I also added a Hellwig rear sway bar. Although it does not change any payload rating it helps with sway greatly.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It looks like he didn't calculate the tongue weight loss that needs to be added when adding a camper, it really makes a difference in lowering your available tongue weight.
Probably what he didn't account for was the extension he used to hook the trailer up, nothing like extra leverage to amplify the trailer tongue weight. What is surprising is that being a dually, should have a payload well into or over the the 5K lbs. mark.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Probably what he didn't account for was the extension he used to hook the trailer up, nothing like extra leverage to amplify the trailer tongue weight. What is surprising is that being a dually, should have a payload well into or over the the 5K lbs. mark.
It's a 2012-2016 F450, and I think it's a 15 or 16.

That...should not have happened. That right there, given the truck it is and how it's built (I've been around FAR too many of them), could only happen from unsafely modifying the frame of that truck, or SEVERELY overloading the trailer...because that frame broke, on a truck that is rated to haul 6k in the box and/or 30k+ from the hitch on the back. It just...shouldn't have happened.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's a 2012-2016 F450, and I think it's a 15 or 16.

That...should not have happened. That right there, given the truck it is and how it's built (I've been around FAR too many of them), could only happen from unsafely modifying the frame of that truck, or SEVERELY overloading the trailer...because that frame broke, on a truck that is rated to haul 6k in the box and/or 30k+ from the hitch on the back. It just...shouldn't have happened.
Good catch, I just noticed the ten lug wheels but was thinking it was a F-350. Your definitely right about that shouldn't have happened unless the frame was compromised. Even if that was a F-350 it shouldn't have happened.
Unless they tow/haul something other than that slide in and the tag along it would be a stretch to put enough weight in those to hurt the truck.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Good catch, I just noticed the ten lug wheels but was thinking it was a F-350. Your definitely right about that shouldn't have happened unless the frame was compromised. Even if that was a F-350 it shouldn't have happened.
Unless they tow/haul something other than that slide in and the tag along it would be a stretch to put enough weight in those to hurt the truck.
I mean I could see it happening on a truck that saw nothing but road salt for 20 years, but that truck isn't that old and really looks too clean to have seen that kind of road salt. I suppose it's possible that they consistently overloaded the truck and then bounced it REALLY hard quite often while fully loaded to weaken the frame enough that a car hauler and a truck camper could break it...but even then, those trucks are built to take a lot of abuse.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Meh, without an explanation, the picture is meaningless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357