Turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho Dave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
2014 6.7, Jacobson Turbo started squealing is there a fix or do I need to replace it?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Is it turbo or cac/intercooler boot leaking?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
have you determined if it's the turbo itself that squealing? or possibly a boost leak?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
have you determined if it's the turbo itself that squealing? or possibly a boost leak?
I'd guess boost leak. I've never had a turbo squeal before it dies. Usually pukes oil into the intake or blows apart and wreaks havoc.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Brandon-w if turbos start making unusual noises they usually don't last long.
Fun part is finding the leak, need to get the engine under load just pushing the go pedal in park doesn't build much boost

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
What I do is go to the hardware store and find a rubber coupler with clamps close to the same size as the turbo inlet. Get a threaded cap u can force into the other end of the rubber coupler, clamp it in. drill a hole thread a compressor coupler into it, set the compressor regulator to 40 psi. Plug the compressor line in and use Ur squirt bottle with soap and water and bubble hunt or listen for the squeal. Done it a few times on my twin turbo 12v. Works great.

OP
OP
Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Hmmm? this is an ongoing problem, it all started with a low boost/ decreasing boost, replaced turbo with a Jacobson, new CAC, leak check of system, didn't help much. Suspected a waste gate problem, mechanic said not possible, ran a couple tanks with injector cleaner and lo and behold boost problem was resolved. latest issue, squeal, started a week ago, turbo is doing fine, I do hear an air leak, I will try your suggestion and report back, thanks,
det