U-Connect data

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barkster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
My U-connect subscription is not active, however....

If I log into my MOPAR account, I can see that the mileage on my truck is being updated. So, I know that U-Connect is still functional and transmitting data over the 3G network.

Question: What other data is being transmitted over the 3G Unconnect network from my vehicle without my knowledge or consent? (assuming I didn't give my consent by checking some stupid "I agree to the terms..." BS box on a web page somewhere.)

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's how they send firmware updates now, and like you said, I'm sure there is some fine print somewhere that gives them permission.... Big Brother is ALWAYS watching you!!!

I would think they would update the apps also over the 3G network.

Basically everything that was sent while you had the Uconnect subscription is more then likely still being sent even if you let your subscription expire.

OP
OP
barkster

barkster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
That's how they send firmware updates now... I would think they would update the apps also over the 3G network.

Roger that. Something like odometer data would be fundamental to FCA being able to remind me when I have service due. I'm ok with that. But, I'm still curious to know what other vehicle parameters are being transmitted. Location, MPG, radio station I'm listening to... Things that tell FCA more about me than my car/truck.

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But, I'm still curious to know what other vehicle parameters are being transmitted. Location, MPG, radio station I'm listening to... Things that tell FCA more about me than my car/truck.

All conversations are being recorded, how fast you drive, how hard you brake, where you go and long you stay there, who is in the passenger seat/s, who you vote for, what kind of food you eat in the truck, how often you wash it, your current weight - in other words everything the NSA needs to know about you!

Now I can take off my tinfoil hat! LOL

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They definiatley send mileage, any faults that pop up, Tire inflation data, you name it. Pretty much any parameter that has to do with the proper functioning of the vehicle they are getting I believe. Highly doubt they care what radio station I listen to though.

While I have never heard of them using the data against someone to deny warranty, I'm sure that day is coming.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
All conversations are being recorded, how fast you drive, how hard you brake, where you go and long you stay there, who is in the passenger seat/s, who you vote for, what kind of food you eat in the truck, how often you wash it, your current weight - in other words everything the NSA needs to know about you!
^^^ #truth and even more
My neighbor was telling me about a Tinder date he had sex with in the back seat of his Ram...got a "Congratulations it's going to be a boy!" card from UConnect the next day...lol

OP
OP
barkster

barkster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
While I have never heard of them using the data against someone to deny warranty, I'm sure that day is coming.

I could see that... would probably agree with that use of the data, too.

All conversations are being recorded... Now I can take off my tinfoil hat! LOL

Your humor is noted for what it isn't.

As a retired veteran and 20+ year employee of the Intelligence Community, I do not stutter when I say that the "internet of things" smacks of pervasive and persistent surveillance. It was, in fact, standard practice within the IC not to rent cars with On-Star or similar technologies for precisely the reason you point out... that all conversation could be transmitted/recorded without the occupant's knowledge that the phone was active.

That said, what I'm wondering about has more to do with the Facebook/Google business model of surreptitiously collecting and selling your personal "profile" for their profit. Or the model some law enforcement has increasingly been using to obtain phone/internet records, or obtain cellphone data without warrant using Stingray and DiRT box tech.