Unusual problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scodo68

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 dodge ram 1500 quad cab
Engine
I'm not sure we're to start so here goes. Last week I went out to start truck and and I usually start it after turning the key for a second or so but this time I just turned the key for a split second and the truck did not start. So I try again and nothing just turns over and still won't start and each time I don't hear the fuel pump cycle on. And while this is going on the "lamp out" light is on. So out of desperation I check the fuel pump fuse and it is good. I disconnect battery and try to start truck after a few minutes and it starts but idles low but stays running while I rev it up a little but after a few minutes of running it dies. And the lamp out light goes out after I swamp the drivers side tail light bulbs top to bottom. So today I went out to start truck and it started fine and after a few minutes left To go to lowes and just down the block the truck dies I try to start and won't and the lamp out light is on so I try to start again and it started up and ran fine to lowes and back. I hope this makes sence lol

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
My grandfather and I had a conversation the other day and how the simplest things you would never think can cause the biggest problems! He told me he had a vehicle that wouldn't turn over at all, but there was a brand new battery and plugs and everything in between. He told me he found that the ground cables were rusted and oxidize and that the second he changed the ground cable, scuffed up the ground mount and clean it of any rust... The car ran like a champ! I would say check the battery, plugs, and ignition. Then check the grounds especially since I see you live in Indiana... Salt oxidized metal faster than you think, if salty water gets on the ground it'll mess it up really bad.

As for the lamp out light I don't know what could be causing that, that I would say check the bulbs/harness/behavior of the lights when signaled or braking and if that isn't the problem then follow the wires and check to see if any animal was messing with the wires in your ecu (maybe that may be the oroblem with the starting) you would be surprised and what animals can do to someone's car!

I am not entirely sure that this may help but it may give you a path to start thinking how to trouble shoot it! I hope this helps and I hope you figure it out real soon! Goodluck man

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
This sounds clearly like a ground problem. Start at the battery and start cleaning connections. There are also ground straps on the back of the heads.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
well if you cant hear the fuel pump cycle on id go on and replace it. and seeing as the truck is 11 years old it may be time to swap it out anyway lol. but you should check ground wires as well....never hurts to do more than its called for.

OP
OP
S

Scodo68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well this morning I went out to take the truck for a drive and after about 5 miles I came home and was backing into the driveway and it died. No codes no nothing. And once again the lamp out lite came on. After a couple of tries it started ran for several minutes then died. But this time while trying to start the truck the lamp out light was lite and truck would sputter for a few seconds then die. And as I type this I have not got it started again just a few sputters and then die. And one thing I notice I don't hear the fuel pump cycle anymore. Can a bad fuel pump work on and off? And can a bad fuel pump make the truck just die?

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Usually when a fuel pump goes, it goes. Nothing is impossible though. I really think you either have a ground issue or two different issues all together.

Have you tried cleaning/inspecting grounds yet?

RamSport13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had fuel problems in the past with my other Ram's. Fuel pressure guage comes in real handy to find out where your problem lies. Get a pressure reading from the fuel rail, it can really tell you what is going on from trying to start it to when it dies.

OP
OP
S

Scodo68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update. I dropped the truck off at the dealer yesterday morning and would ya guessed it it ran fine for them! Not one miss or anything!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Update. I dropped the truck off at the dealer yesterday morning and would ya guessed it it ran fine for them! Not one miss or anything!

You will find that they could drive it with three wheels and the exhaust dragging behind it and if there are no codes showing, she is driving fine... Good luck with that....

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I'm surprised it was a fuel pump, but good job getting it fixed.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Thanks for following up OP. This kind of information is very helpful to other that might be having the same issue.

OP
OP
S

Scodo68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok just a update after the new fuel didn't help it. I took it to a different dodge dealer that actually took the time to figure it out. It turned out to be a bad electrical connection going to the fuel pump.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Ok just a update after the new fuel didn't help it. I took it to a different dodge dealer that actually took the time to figure it out. It turned out to be a bad electrical connection going to the fuel pump.

That sounds more like it. Good, now it is fixed.