Upgrading 2016 Ram 1500 head unit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imperiumwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Quad cab with the base stereo system. I've wanted to upgrade things for a while. Last year I ordered a simple, single DIN Alpine from Crutchfield. It came with what I thought was everything for the install, but after tearing everything apart there was one connection coming from the truck that would not plug into anything. The harness was the Axxess LC-CHRC-01. I can't find any pictures of the plug/wire coming from the dash online, but if you look up pictures of the factory head unit, it's the gray input at the bottom right on the back of the head unit. Luckily it was Crutchfield and I was able to send everything back.

I've recently been thinking about it again. From what I'm finding, I might need to go the more expensive route and get a higher end head unit that uses an iDatalink/Maestro combination.

Does anyone know if this is the correct way? I know I could just return it again if it doesn't work, but I'd hate to have to order and return $500 plus dollars of equipment (not really a big deal, I'd just like to avoid it if possible). The only other thing would be to have a shop install one, but I'd like to do it myself if I can. It's been over 20 years since I've installed any audio equipment so it's all pretty much new to me now.

Edit: I tried attaching a picture of the back of the head unit but I don't think it is showing up. I'm very unfamiliar with how the site works for posting pictures.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say base radio do you mean the basic 5 inch bare bones radio or the basic 6 speaker radio with the 8.4 head unit? If you have the bare bones 5 radio you won’t gain much with a high end head unit and a maestro. I’m not even sure if your truck can utilize the capability of the maestro unit. Now if you have the 8.4 and your convince features are displayed on the touch screen, yes an upgraded head unit and the maestro is the way to go. You can also upgrade to a factory OEM unit from a 2018 or later truck if you are looking to get CarPlay or Android Auto. A vendor on this site sells custom harnesses for such OEM radio upgrades. Depends on what you want from the radio.

OP
OP
I

imperiumwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
It has the six speaker system, but it's not Alpine, has no factory amp and is not a touch screen. I believe the radio is called 3.0. I will try and attach a link to an ebay listing I found.

Basically I'm wanting RCA outputs for amplifiers and built in Bluetooth (mine does not have the "phone" button).

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotcha. In my humble opinion you don’t have any real need for a high end unit and maestro as your present radio doesn’t display convenience features on a touchscreen display. Features like climate control, heated seats, CarPlay, apps, remote start settings, etc. a Maestro unit would be more than you need or possibly more than the wiring in your truck can provide. If it were me I’d select a good aftermarket head unit and steering wheel controller if your truck has steering wheel controls along with the appropriate T-harness and go that route. If you want the “phone” button you’ll need a new steering wheel or be prepared to remove your current steering wheel and make the modifications which can be pricy because of parts. I totally get the desire to have Bluetooth so you’d need a new head unit just for that. You can add an amp using high level inputs from your existing speaker feeds. Many of the modern amps that accept high level inputs don’t need trigger wires anymore. Personally I have the basic 8.4 six speaker system with upgraded speakers and a Kicker Key 200 four channel amp tucked up under the dash. It provides 50 watts per channel and is powered by high level inputs without a trigger wire. It senses voltage from the high inputs and automatically turns on. It also has a DSP built in and is bi-amp capable if you decide to power all six speakers separately as in the stock configuration the front doors and dash speakers are wired together. It all comes down to how much you want to spend.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On second thought you may be able to upgrade your truck to a factory Bluetooth unit. I believe it’s called a RA2 radio and has Bluetooth and SXM capabilities. The radios are fairly inexpensive on eBay. The vendor on this site that specializes in the conversion harnesses is M2 Mods and he can be found in the vendor list on the homepage. From there you can use one of the compact amps that I spoke of in my last post to add power. Quick math the conversion is about the same as going aftermarket and keeps your truck stock. Good luck.

OP
OP
I

imperiumwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Thank you for the replies. I do have a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the auxiliary port and it works, but it would be nice to have something I don't have to turn on every time I start my truck (first world problems...). I did see a while back that Alpine makes small amps that fit behind your head unit that sounds like the Kicker.

PAC also makes a T-harness that allows you to hook up an LOC and run amp power back through the factory door/dash wires. I may go that route.

Thank you again for your help.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat