Upgrading Coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very good info in this thread so thanks to all that have contributed. Question to @Quick_Shifter on a separate note here. I see you run a 180 degree thermostat. I feel that the colder is almost always better and 180 is cooler than the stock 203. Did you have to tune for the 180 or just replacing the 203 with a 180 ok? Any reason not to? Real curious why stock they decided the engine would be better at or near 203 compared to 180. Am sure there is technical reason why so just curious.

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Very good info in this thread so thanks to all that have contributed. Question to @Quick_Shifter on a separate note here. I see you run a 180 degree thermostat. I feel that the colder is almost always better and 180 is cooler than the stock 203. Did you have to tune for the 180 or just replacing the 203 with a 180 ok? Any reason not to? Real curious why stock they decided the engine would be better at or near 203 compared to 180. Am sure there is technical reason why so just curious.
To answer you’re question: my truck was tuned for the 180 stat because I converted to the V-6 electric fan and I had to tell the fan to turn on sooner. As far as having to do so? someone else with a lot more knowledge can break it down. I’m not sure if it is mandatory to tune if you’re just swapping thermostats

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s not required to tune but it’s better to tune for it or you’re just wasting money and no gains. If you run the v6 fan or remove clutch fan it’s required otherwise the truck will run hotter because the clutch fan is the sole radiator fan until you tune. The ac fan only turns on with the ac or after 220° coolant temp. The tuner can set the ac fan to turn on earlier based on your thermostat temp. I’m running a 190 as I’m not as performance oriented with my truck so it’s more the best of both worlds. My tuner set my fan on at 205 and off at 195 unless ac is on. Runs cooler and the tuner can bump the timing up and air density should be a bit higher which means more fuel can be used but being a bit warmer than the 180 is better for fuel economy. The 203 is best for fuel economy. Plus with the 190 my heater will still get hot enough to make you sweat in the cab during winter. Lol.