Upkeep question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcginnis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wondering if there’s a thread on here for the 4th gen hemi upkeep I’ve just rolled over 50k miles and just wanting to get an idea of what I need to plan on doing in the future. Like spark plugs and wires or transmission fluid and filter change timing chain or tensioner rear diff service etc etc. just wondering around what mileage for the things like that. Thanks

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wondering if there’s a thread on here for the 4th gen hemi upkeep I’ve just rolled over 50k miles and just wanting to get an idea of what I need to plan on doing in the future. Like spark plugs and wires or transmission fluid and filter change timing chain or tensioner rear diff service etc etc. just wondering around what mileage for the things like that.
My opinion engine oil every 4k trans at 60k or so same for diff ect plugs 100k timing chain dont worry until you hit 200k I have torn down tons of these and chains are always good.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long do you plan to keep your truck? If you're in it for the long haul, consider the following:

Supposedly the newer roller lifters have been improved with larger bearings and the newer trucks don't seem to 'eat cams' like the older ones. Im going off what other people here who follow this closer have reported. If this is true, and you're a DIY guy, a case can almost be made to upgrade your tk's engine to the 'updated' lifters. Because your era truck seemed to be in that range where cam failures occur. Either way, DO use a real good synthetic motor oil.

If your truck has the ZF transmission, a common recommendation is to replace the trans fluid around or before the 100k mark. It's an involved process and has to be done 'right'. You can look that up. An RFE tranny is a lot easier to service. Brake fluid should be checked. If it's dark, exchange it with new. That'll also help improve pedal feel ...as well as help reduce internal brake issues.

A lot of these truck bodies rust up by now. But since you're in Tx, that probably won't be a problem. Cleaning the accumulated rocks, sand & grit out of the rear wheel wells with a thin sheet metal tool, would be a great idea. Ya need to remove the plastic wheel liners to get yer arm up there to pry them out. They get wedged in there pretty tight. It's a lot of work but I got a couple handfuls of rocks/debris out of each of my rear wheel arches. And clean/inspect back by the tail lamp/bumper area. Then wash with a garden hose sprayer and let dry. If ya live in areas where it rusts (other forum members), it would be prudent apply oil to the common rust areas or undercoat would be a great idea. Don't forget door botttoms, cab corners, rockers, tailgate ..and that mystery spot behind the front fender emblem. Again, in Tx, probably not as critical if you're not in a rust-prone area. But other ram owners reading this, ...these tks DO rust up. Be proactive.

Get a step or running board and use it as you get in/out of the cab, so you're not "sliding" over the edge of and stressing your truck's seat cushion. It'll wear the foam out and damage your seat cover ...which might not be available anymore (aftermarket ones probably are). A lot of these trucks get a hole in the door-side of the fabric. The aftermarket replacement foams are slightly different than the OEM foam bottom cushions. A little change of habit can preserve the seats.

There's a nice little 'pocket' on the gas tank support bracket you can't really see which holds dirt. And it can rot a hole in that bracket ...which can cause the tank to flop down. You might get up in there with a implement and a blow gun with compressed air. Make sure it's clean. Brush some oil in it.

Change the coolant when it needs it.

There's probably a lot more, but..

The below pic shows the inner wheel arch where rocks n debris get caught/build up. Slide thin tool between to dislodge debris.
20221005_130856.jpg

Last edited: