Weird tranny noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I was doing some checks on my truck tonight and came across the noise in the video.

Transmission Noises

Some kind of whining or gear grinding noise when shifting into either Reverse or Drive... I have no clue to whether it is normal or not but if anyone can help me identify what it is I would greatly appreciate it.
I have no issues with my transmission, no overheating, no slipping, no shifting problems or anything transmission related.
There is no change in the noise whether the tranny is cold or at operating temperature, in the video the tranny is at operating temp and I had just driven about 20 miles coming back from my DIY garage before shooting the video.
ATF level is fine and was checked at operating temp with the vehicle running, in Neutral and on a flat level surface.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I did a search last night and everything I came across said that it's a normal sound for the 545 rfe but I can't say I've ever heard it on mine.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
I don't know if it's related but sometimes the linkage needs to be adjusted...this happens to me sometimes and I'll take it out of gear and then put it back for it to engage correctly...sometimes when I lazily shift from drive to park it will sound like its grinding of which I'll put it back and then shove it back to park and its good..

hemidup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.4 Hemi
99-03 valve body solenoids usually make that sound. In 04 they upgraded to a solenoid pack that's much quieter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93