Went to the Cat scale today.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 Laramie with 5.7, 8sp & 3.21 gears. Equalizer 4pt hitch, towing a 26' Outback 260UML. I have the airlift 1000 bags set to 25lbs, LT295/60R20 10 ply Nitto Ridge Grapplers at 70psi, Hellwig rear sway bar. Thinking the numbers aren't too bad but wondering if the difference between ft and rear axle weight is too much? Still have to adjust a little I think just not sure which way to go. Any suggestions?

20180512_161826.jpg

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the identical truck, including the airlift 1k, equalizer 4pt, and hellwig. I believe gross for the rear axle is 3900lbs, so yea it seems heavy on the rear. How’s the trailer sitting? I think you need to put more weight on the front steer axle. My front axle measured with truck only is 3300lbs, so you’re loaded weight seems pretty light. My trailer is a 28’ bunk house, 7300lbs loaded and 800 tongue weight.

How many spacers do you have in? Adding 2 more should help. An unloaded steer axle weight will answer all the questions.

. acece38dbf6a8d531e3c80b21c8a66bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Depending on your unloaded steer axle weight the numbers don't look bad. If you can make adjustments to transfer about 50-75 lbs to the steer axle it'd look better. But, not bad as it sits.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Good job. You can tinker with it to get more up front and a more even distribution but Ultimately you are in the zone; replaced steer weight, drive axle weight within spec. Assuming trailer is level and tongue weight is in the 10 to 15 percent range she will handle an emergency swerve around, stop well, and have good stability in the wind.

911 got an even better balance and showed his unloaded slip. Fwiw 911 also adjusted his TV & TT weight distribution and his WDH enough to bring his tongue weight down to where he also kept within GVWR.

Having a weight slip that shows you are below GVWR calms the yellow sticker keystone kops of payload. Without it they will add up weight estimates and tell you that you need to buy a bigger truck and horrific tales of a white knuckle experience with their 1500 while towing a smaller lighter camper. Sometimes they are a bit confused though as many have never seen a weight slip let alone have any idea what the weight slip is to be used for. Not to be haten they just haven’t been shown yet so help them along and show them. :)

Fwiw when I transport a larger trailer wherein my CVWR is 15k I prefer not to set it up below TV GVWR. I just get axle weights under maximums and balanced best I can. Naturally still verifying TW is in range. The reason is it’s safer & more stable if the combined TV axle weights match or exceed the TT axle weight. Just don’t tell the payload sticker keystone kops it makes their head explode. VernDiesel

Last edited: