Which OBDII reader is best for 2023 Ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Storman22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi with eTorque
Looking to pickup an OBDII reader and then wanting to access and change tire size , as well as potentially make other changes such adding off road info screens etc for other options.

Is a bypass cable required for any changes… and is the OBDLink MX+ at $209 CAD worth the price or are there other options people are using that work just as well? Or does the MX+ eliminate the need for the bypass?

Is there a spreadsheet available that show all the different options… I used to have a F150 and used forscan with an old laptop and wired obdII and there was spreadsheets showing how to get into the different options.

Thanks all in advance , appreciate it.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Alpha ODB is worth every penny. Programing spare keys pays for itself on first use.
I don't think he has any "spare keys" that need programming. I wish I did and didn't have that dang FOB to deal with.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I believe that he was just mentioning, that a simple thing like programming FOBs, would almost pay for itself, when you use the Alfa OBD or some of the other scan tools & programmers

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Get the MX+. It is expensive ,and yes some of the cheaper ones do work, but if you get a communication glitch you can do some serious scrambling of things. For the little you save it is not worth taking a chance.

I have the Kaodtech bypass, which you need on any 2018 and later truck, I leave it permanently installed and tucked up out of the way. With that I have the the MX+ and never have communication issues or glitches. I bought my MX+ off Amazon in the States, even with the exchange it was cheaper, paid $130 late 2022, butmay not be the case now. I had a cheaper Bluetooth OBD reader prior to getting AlphaOBD and its connection was sporadic. For reading codes, no big deal, when processing changes, REALLY big deal.

Last edited:

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The Obdlink EX interface works well too. It's a USB connection rather than a BT link. My Chromebook doesn't play well with "low energy" BT devices, so USB was the way to go.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Obdlink EX interface works well too. It's a USB connection rather than a BT link. My Chromebook doesn't play well with "low energy" BT devices, so USB was the way to go.

Is this the interface you used?

I'm not a big fan of BT for performing critical configuration changes and prefer a hardline connection.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Storman22

Storman22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi with eTorque
Thanks everyone for the responses. I’m looking mostly to change tire sizes for my 22” Limited wheels and the 20” winters when I swap them in the fall and spring. Truck is in for service today , and I asked them to calibrate for the 20’s, guess I will see how much they charge for that and will quickly see how cost effective it might be for me to do it myself if it’s not too complicated.

OP
OP
Storman22

Storman22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi with eTorque
Get the MX+. It is expensive ,and yes some of the cheaper ones do work, but if you get a communication glitch you can do some serious scrambling of things. For the little you save it is not worth taking a chance.

I have the Kaodtech bypass, which you need on any 2018 and later truck, I leave it permanently installed and tucked up out of the way. With that I have the the MX+ and never have communication issues or glitches. I bought my MX+ off Amazon in the States, even with the exchange it was cheaper, paid $130 late 2022, butmay not be the case now. I had a cheaper Bluetooth OBD reader prior to getting AlphaOBD and its connection was sporadic. For reading codes, no big deal, when processing changes, REALLY big deal.
Thanks!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered a different hardwire OBDii interface for $48.99 CDN and I'll report if it successfully provides access to my Warlock using AlfaOBD.

As much as I'd like to own an OBDLink Mx+, I just can't get my head around paying the inflated price for this name-brand interface, especially in Canada where we are typically treated to inflated costs from Amazon.

The CAN bus architecture is a standard that most OBD interfaces are designed to interface.
I would avoid any of the obvious bogus junk and I know the reviews are not necessarily accurate but the above interface is specified to operate at 6 times faster than some of the Bluetooth units that I've reviewed.

For our Northern members who have Amazon Prime, if you're open to the gamble, the above hardline interface is available for $39.19 on a Black Friday deal.

If you live in the US and subscribe to Amazon Prime, this looks like a good deal for the Mx+ at $111.96 on a Black Friday deal.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have had good luck in the past with the BAFX bluetooth interface but my new Chromebook doesn't like it. This is why I went with the Obdlink EX USB version.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had good luck in the past with the BAFX bluetooth interface but my new Chromebook doesn't like it. This is why I went with the Obdlink EX USB version.

Thanks for posting that detail.

What OS were you successfully using to connect with the BAFX BT before the Chromebook?

I may have that same interface and it was a bit of a PITA with my Windows 10 laptop.

The connectivity seemed to be intermittent but now I'm wondering if I wasn't using it correctly.

I might take another stab at it before the new interface arrives but I still prefer a hardwire connection over wireless.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for posting that detail.

What OS were you successfully using to connect with the BAFX BT before the Chromebook?

I may have that same interface and it was a bit of a PITA with my Windows 10 laptop.

The connectivity seemed to be intermittent but now I'm wondering if I wasn't using it correctly.

I might take another stab at it before the new interface arrives but I still prefer a hardwire connection over wireless.

I was using another, older, Chromebook with AlfaObd. Older s/w of course. It would normally connect up and work fine. I installed a few LED's and configured a new FOB using that combo.

The new Chromebook apparently is more fussy with the low energy BT devices.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've now changed a bunch of BCM settings and upgraded instrument panel settings with my Vlinker MC+ with absolutely no issues and I've owned it for about a year now. It is nearly identical to the MX+ except costs less. I've also checked and reset codes on my truck with it.