would this work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i was wondering if it would be possible to use a turbo off of a cummins 5.9 and put it on a V8 5.9. i ask because all of the kits for a turbo are around 5 grand and thats just ridiculous for a truck as old as mine. i just thought there couold be a cheaper way to do a turbo.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Cheaper and turbo shouldn't really go together IMO
You can piece things together but your chancing alot of engine trouble that will probably cost you in the long run

An HX35 is way to small actually. They're good on small gasser engines with half the diaplacement of your 360

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
This ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
You can turbo on the cheap. I have BUT as stated above you can blow **** up easy when you do it that way.
If you want to do it on the cheap find a kit that works and buy it a piece at a time. just don't forget anything.
I am curious though why turbo? Why not a supercharger? I have always liked roots blowers myself, ungodly amounts of tq at an RPM range trucks work in anyway.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
i was wondering if it would be possible to use a turbo off of a cummins 5.9 and put it on a V8 5.9. i ask because all of the kits for a turbo are around 5 grand and thats just ridiculous for a truck as old as mine. i just thought there couold be a cheaper way to do a turbo.

Yeah... There is a way to do it but its not cheap... Yank the 5.9L Gasser out and put a 5.9L Cummins in problem solved. Now you have way more HP/TQ, HX35W turbo and 21-22 MPG... :popcorn:

OP
OP
R

ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i just thought it might be simpler to run a turbo rather than a supercharger. im just thinkin of different ways to get some decent power, i think im gonna start saving for a chip pretty soon.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
if i had to do it all over again, i would do a turbo instead of a s/c. so much more boost to be had with a turbo. after u get to about 15lbs it is very difficult to make more with a s/c. with a turbo, 30lbs is easily had. and there is not a whole lot of turbo lag like there used to be if you size the turbo correctly. and turbo doesnt take power to make power. runs off the exhaust. centrifugal superchargers build boost with your rpms. turbo builds boost much quicker to full boost lbs. and with a s/c you WILL have belt slip. had to fab my own extra pulley to help with slip. just about got it. but there is still just a little.

with that being said....i love my s/c. boost is awesome.

Last edited: