Zone/bds tie rod ends

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
This will be my second time needing to replace my tie rod ends on my truck. Originally installed as a 4” zone kit with 3” rear lift. It’s adapted and changed over time. However what I am looking for is any info on ball joints that work that are not zone/bds? Does anyone know a cross reference or has anyone replaced with anything other than ones ordered from zone/bds?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, I found out the hard way that the tie rod ends are not the same as factory …. You have to order thru Zone, and they aren’t exactly answering the phone real well right now

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
This will be my second time needing to replace my tie rod ends on my truck. Originally installed as a 4” zone kit with 3” rear lift. It’s adapted and changed over time. However what I am looking for is any info on ball joints that work that are not zone/bds? Does anyone know a cross reference or has anyone replaced with anything other than ones ordered from zone/bds?

Thanks

Order them through @Nick@GotExhaust

what seems to be the issue you’re having with them. The only issue I’ve experienced was one tie rod end would not accept grease and was warrantied other than that zero problems as long as they are maintained properly.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also curious to see why you do not want to go Zone?

We can help get you set up. message me for a quote on anything.

OP
OP
O

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Also curious to see why you do not want to go Zone?

We can help get you set up. message me for a quote on anything.

I have already replaced with the bds/zone tie rod end twice now, and looking to upgrade to something a little heavier duty. I ordered some not thinking about the tapered end being different and now I’m finding out they’re not gonna work. Was hoping for an upgraded part to freshen up my entire front end and not have to worry about any of it for a while. I am also pretty rough on the truck as I use it as a truck.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have already replaced with the bds/zone tie rod end twice now, and looking to upgrade to something a little heavier duty. I ordered some not thinking about the tapered end being different and now I’m finding out they’re not gonna work. Was hoping for an upgraded part to freshen up my entire front end and not have to worry about any of it for a while. I am also pretty rough on the truck as I use it as a truck.

Are you off roading? If so what type of off roading, terrain, speed, etc..?

OP
OP
O

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel

what seems to be the issue you’re having with them. The only issue I’ve experienced was one tie rod end would not accept grease and was warrantied other than that zero problems as long as they are maintained properly.

They just seem to be wearing out a bit faster than they should be, and I don’t really like the idea if I need one I have to order it and wait for it. Was hoping there would be an upgraded equivalent I could go pick up in store or order a legitimate upgrade that I wouldn’t have to worry about for a long while

OP
OP
O

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Are you off roading? If so what type of off roading, terrain, speed, etc..?

Truck does a bit of everything, tows, hauls, used around my property to move stuff Around, take it to some local off-road parks. Sometimes it’ll be black gumbo, other times soft soil/mud and sometimes might be hard as concrete out there. Not doing any rock crawling or anything. And speed varies. Sometimes 30-40 some times creeping along. It’s also my daily driver.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck does a bit of everything, tows, hauls, used around my property to move stuff Around, take it to some local off-road parks. Sometimes it’ll be black gumbo, other times soft soil/mud and sometimes might be hard as concrete out there. Not doing any rock crawling or anything. And speed varies. Sometimes 30-40 some times creeping along. It’s also my daily driver.

Doesnt seem like anything that should be beating up the Zone bjs. How are your front suspension angles?

If you are beating these up maybe you would be better stepping up to a Icon delta joint UCA

OP
OP
O

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Doesnt seem like anything that should be beating up the Zone bjs. How are your front suspension angles?

If you are beating these up maybe you would be better stepping up to a Icon delta joint UCA

I have the zone UCA but the ball joints aren’t bad. I ripped the boots a bit ago and replacing them. But the tie rod ends seem to be what’s wearing out prematurely. All angles seem to be good. I get regular alignments and tire rotations.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
They just seem to be wearing out a bit faster than they should be, and I don’t really like the idea if I need one I have to order it and wait for it. Was hoping there would be an upgraded equivalent I could go pick up in store or order a legitimate upgrade that I wouldn’t have to worry about for a long while

There is no upgrades the Rams never had a problem like the chevys do ie kryptonite products. I think there may be something else. (Are the inner tie rods in good shape)?

OP
OP
O

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
There is no upgrades the Rams never had a problem like the chevys do ie kryptonite products. I think there may be something else. (Are the inner tie rods in good shape)?

Yes inners are good. They were replaced last time I replaced the outers. But it’s sounding like I’m just going to have to order bds ones and put them on again.....

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Yes inners are good. They were replaced last time I replaced the outers. But it’s sounding like I’m just going to have to order bds ones and put them on again.....

That would be the safest option Nick can get them out to you quick as it looks like they are one of the few things in stock.

How often are you greasing them? Do you inspect them often after replacing them the first time?

OP
OP
O

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
That would be the safest option Nick can get them out to you quick as it looks like they are one of the few things in stock.

How often are you greasing them? Do you inspect them often after replacing them the first time?

I grease them every oil change. So around every 10k miles. First set the boots ripped. These just seem to have wallered out a bit and the joint seems loose

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I grease them every oil change. So around every 10k miles. First set the boots ripped. These just seem to have wallered out a bit and the joint seems loose

I would check them pretty frequently to make sure the rubber has good grease pushing it out making them look full. Considering you had already replaced them once before. We used an alignment shop that was ripping boots all the time so we don’t use them anymore. Have you re torqued them so see if they have became loose?

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Do you know the part number for the tie rod ends you got? I ordered BDS:082603 and received these, which aren't what was pictured and these have no zerk fitting.

Attachments

• 20230119_190546.jpg
    20230119_190546.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 4

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
One of my tie rod ends puked a boot about a year ago (maybe 45K miles on the lift). The shop I take my truck to was able to get BDS to warranty it out for me. It's similar to the one pictured... No grease zerk and matches the one that was already on the truck.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Do you know the part number for the tie rod ends you got? I ordered BDS:082603 and received these, which aren't what was pictured and these have no zerk fitting.
no grease fittings on 2013 + Classic models