‘96 1500 5.9 retrofit questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
I have a ,96 1500 (Magnum 5.9) with 246k miles that just started the dreaded bottom end connecting rod death rattle under load. ( ive owned 2 vortec chevys, and know this noise). Ive been offered a 1981 sportsman van with the 360, (78k original miles) free for the taking. So my questions are: can i retrofit the 81 engine to the 96 truck? Can i simply swap the intake from the 96 to the 81 engine? Is there anything that wont make the swap feasible? I would basically be stripping both engine’s down to the long block.I realize yes the oil pan and pickup will have to swap, along with the late model exhaust etc. what about sensors? Ive years of engine and mechanical experience, but zero wrench time on dodges, so any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you can swap it in but the LA 1980 block is flat tappit magnum is roller the blocks are pretty much the same need magnum heads on the LA to run your kegger injection and roller setup from the magnum after you machine cam bearing journals keep flex plate to motor it came on. Or carburetor and jumper wire in place of trans breaker or relay then it isn't easy. You can put rod bearings in while motor is in truck pan comes right off

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Trip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
Thanks Dan, it sounds like a little more to the swap than I’m wanting. Was hoping for a little more straight forward, with the intention of rebuilding the magnum over winter due to the fact that it’s also burning some oil and could just use the refresh, surprisingly ‘93-‘00 magnum 360’s are near non existent in my neck of the woods. I’ll have to look into swapping the rod bearings while in the truck, it may be an option to limp me through for a while. I appreciate the input, thanks

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
LA won't bolt-in in place of the magnum but the Magnum will bolt-in in place of the LA. LA has completely different style engine mounts than magnum but Magnum retained the LA style mounts in addition to having their own.

OP
OP
T

Trip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
Thats good to know, I’m pretty sure most people are looking to retrofit the opposite direction from what i was hoping to do (newer engine in an older truck, not an older engine in a newer truck, thanks again