07 ram 5.7 roaring noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemiguy2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sometimes when I go out and first start up my truck it sounds like a high roaring noise, I put it in drive and drive off and the noise increases as I accelerate then goes away and does not return. It only does this sometimes. My 2004 did the same thing a few times but only a few times in 6 years. What can cause this, has anyone else had this problem?

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sometimes when I go out and first start up my truck it sounds like a high roaring noise, I put it in drive and drive off and the noise increases as I accelerate then goes away and does not return. It only does this sometimes. My 2004 did the same thing a few times but only a few times in 6 years. What can cause this, has anyone else had this problem?

I have something similar on my 06'. When I first start it some times, I have a louder then avg sound. I believe it is a fan, that possibly turns off later???

I'd like to hear what others have to say.

OP
OP
H

hemiguy2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly, it louder than normal, I mean everything seems fine but it just does not sound right. I dont know if it is the fan or not.. Hopefully someone will have answers....

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck does this sometimes as well, it is most definately the fan. I think the clutch needs to warm up a little before it disengages if it was engaged when it was shut off.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
The fans are controlled by a thermostatic spring. That spring is what engages or disengages the clutch by expanding or contracting which opens a valve inside the clutch. When the spring is cool, it will allow a silicone fluid to be moved away from a resivoir inside the clutch. Then, when temps rise, the valve allows fluid back into the resivoir which engages the clutch and allows the fan to do it's job. The noise you hear at start up is because the fluid is drained back into the resivor, so the clutch is actually engaged...the noise stops when the fluid has moved out of the resivoir and the clutch disengages...

Ms.MagnumSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC
Engine
Magnum 4.7 v8
Once again I have found the answer to a "problem". mine just started doing the same thing and had me worried. It only does it first thing in the morning when its cold. Thanks! Glad to hear Im not the only one.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Put an evan on and it will go away lol. Mine did!

Actually, although the mechanical fan to electric fan is a popular mod, I dont really think it's all it's cut out to be...read this tid bit below;

"Some folks will preach that an electric fan is the ultimate swap, but I don't believe so in most older or "modified" cars. An electric fan simply cannot move anywhere near as much air as a good mechanical engine driven fan - and that's important to keep your hot rod cool. An electric fan is expensive and takes wiring, controls, and other such stuff to run. A mechanical thermostatic clutch fan bolts on and requires no maintenance, no wires, and costs about $70 to $100 for everything you need for the conversion. It will also likely last for 100,000 miles or more without problems. A mechanical fan takes less horsepower overall to turn. This may seem counter-intuitive, but an electric fan takes power from the electrical system which is in turn taking horsepower used to turn the alternator - and it can add up for high amperage things like a fan motor. You also "lose" energy in the conversion from mechanical power to electrical and from electrical power back to mechanical power again. Dyno tests from various magazines have confirmed that the lowest horsepower loss and the best cooling (basically the ideal combination) is using a clutch style fan. Who would have thought that something from the 1970's would be so perfect?

The only advantages an electric fan has are in mounting and in their "instant on/instant off" ability to regulate engine temperature more directly. For mounting, they can go in front of or behind the radiator and they can be mounted in some pretty tight places where a larger mechanical fan might not fit very well. The instant on/off control means they only spin when needed, and can be used to fine-tune the engine temp and allow for it to be much hotter and still not overheat, even to the point of running the fan after the engine shuts off to prevent the cooling system from boiling over. This ability to get hotter faster and run hotter is something newer cars use a lot for emissions purposes, but that's not a big concern for anything originally built with a carburetor and certainly not the primary consideration for a performance vehicle."

Source:
Thermostatic Clutch Fan

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Adam, I agree with only a couple of points. Reliability, passive operation and simplicity are pluses for the mechanical fan. But the eFan overall being more efficient makes up a lot of ground. I think everyone must agree a eFan when not running doesn't use any power at all. My eFan only comes on when I sitting in traffic, as for highway running it doesn't run. It cleans up the front of the engine. Using high quality or OEM eFans reliability is not an issue. Over revving the eFan is not a issue. Plus the eFan's set points are easily adjustable by the user. The eFan may not be for everyone, but they have proven their value in overall performance. I like mine even though I paid too much for it and would install it again. My 2 cents....

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I totally agree with your opinion Greg...I think it would be great to see one of our trucks on the dyno, pre and post conversion to see what the conversion does first hand in terms of power loss or gain. As for the effectiveness of the fan to cool, I will agree that the efan will do it's job plenty. But is it a lose here and gain there mod or not...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat