2016 Hemi 5.7 Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16HemiAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all. Brand new to the forum. I have a 2016 Ram Hemi 5.7 4x4, and over the past month or so, I’ve developed a tick. On start up, it sounds exactly like the exhaust tick I’ve heard in some videos, but it comes back? Took it to a local mechanic, and he said it’s a lifter / cam shaft. My question is, if it was that, wouldn’t it be all the time? It goes away by 40 mph and doesn’t even do it until you either stop, or shut off the engine.
Any advice would be amazing!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey all. Brand new to the forum. I have a 2016 Ram Hemi 5.7 4x4, and over the past month or so, I’ve developed a tick. On start up, it sounds exactly like the exhaust tick I’ve heard in some videos, but it comes back? Took it to a local mechanic, and he said it’s a lifter / cam shaft. My question is, if it was that, wouldn’t it be all the time? It goes away by 40 mph and doesn’t even do it until you either stop, or shut off the engine.
Any advice would be amazing!
Lots of guys never hear a lifter tick,until the cam is just about wore flat. What you're describing isn't out of the norm for a cam going bad.

OP
OP

16HemiAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took the wife for a ride in it last night. She has incredible hearing. From a dead stop, it does it for a few seconds, then disappears.
I forgot to mention, I’m not super mechanically inclined. The mechanic said trade it off, but I’m also not rich…. Haha

commander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've NOT tried this yet, but I read somewhere that instead of using 0w20 oil, use a synthetic 5 w 30 oil and that is supposed to help or cure the Hemi tick. Again, I have NOT tried this, yet! The story "supposedly" is that the 5.7 Hemi has been around for over 20 years. Mopar did not re-invent it when they went to a 0 w 20 oil, they did that to get better "Corporate fuel mileage" for Uncle Sam. I'm going to do a lot more research on this before I try it.

JT

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've NOT tried this yet, but I read somewhere that instead of using 0w20 oil, use a synthetic 5 w 30 oil and that is supposed to help or cure the Hemi tick. Again, I have NOT tried this, yet! The story "supposedly" is that the 5.7 Hemi has been around for over 20 years. Mopar did not re-invent it when they went to a 0 w 20 oil, they did that to get better "Corporate fuel mileage" for Uncle Sam. I'm going to do a lot more research on this before I try it.

JT
The note at the bottom might interest you.This used to be in the manuals up till about 2017,the engines haven't changed since then,just the milege numbers they're trying for have.

Attachments

• IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP

16HemiAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had heard the same thing! Thank you all for the help. I definitely have exhaust bolts broken, as I can move the manifold. I will absolutely try this and keep everyone posted!