2001 2500 4x4 w/ 5.9L Magnum - HP gains?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dutchie2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey all,

Just bought a 2001 2500 4x4 Single Cab Magnum with 108K miles. Truck runs great, everything works. But you all know what I'm about to ask. How do you get another 100-ish HP out of this engine while maintaining as much of the OEM parts and reliability as possible? And considering it's current state, MPG's aren't really a concern here. I did read a response in a thread by member Merc225hp that you can get close to 400hp with the OEM injectors. Just curious what everyone's doing to get there. Or even close to that. Links to how-to's, parts, own personal knowledge shares on this thread would be outstanding. If one does not exist, I'll do my best to create a step-by-step DIY for this Gen 2 forum detailing where I go with this and what the results are. I could potentially condense everything into one post if it hasn't been done yet. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me achieve my goal!

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
M1 intake manifold with 4brl throttle is a good start and full exhaust. Been a while since I’ve looked into 2nd gens. Haven’t had mine in 4 or 5 years now. Look up Hughes engines. They have some good write ups on the magnum engines. And new cylinder heads too

jo3gee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Magnum Stroker
I think it would be difficult to add nearly 50% more hp with just intake/exhaust and injector bolt-ons. The best that would like do, is to raise hp a tad in the higher rpms (4-6k), with a little loss in the 2-3k rpm range. And a bigger loss in lower torque.

You’ll want to look at stroking, forced induction, or nitrous to gain 100hp. Bigger throttle bodies and injectors aren’t really called for without the motor needing it.

If you do find add-ons that work on a stock 5.9, I’d love to see the Dyno results.

Mine is stroked to 408, air gap intake, bored throttle body, 34lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, and high compression. Along with some other goodies. I haven’t had it to the dyno lately, but mid build I had 400lbs torque at the wheels (33in tires).

jo3gee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Magnum Stroker
Here’s some dyno numbers for different intakes on a 5.9

http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/TechArticles/FIAirgapdynocompare.pdf

Also, The stock injectors ‘might’ be able to support 400hp, but as you can see, getting that motor from 230hp to 400hp will require quite a bit more work. As I’m sure you know, injectors and intakes don’t create power, they can only support it.

Last edited: