2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedFlameRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought this truck a few days ago with the check engine light on, went to AutoZone today to run a scan on it and came back Camshaft position sensor being bad, every time I accelerate I get a loud ticking from the passenger front but when idleing the tick noise is not ticking … not sure what this can be ? Also this truck desperately needs new tires and looks as if someone has lifted this truck ? Can you confirm this ? I would like to put way bigger tires on this as the oem tire size looks funny on the truck … what size of tires will fit this as in bigger tires … here’s a picture … thank you for any help

Attachments

• IMG_2042.jpeg
    IMG_2042.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 4

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

When you have a trouble code, it is better to give the actual code that the scanner brings out
like a camshaft code might be p0340 or possibly p0344 ??

good video below

OP
OP
RedFlameRam

RedFlameRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you , the print out I got from AutoZone does not have the code but is for a camshaft position sensor

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes it is lifted. The actual code would have been helpful, but if it is actually the cam sensor you'll want to get an OEM sensor or you'll be doing it again sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
RedFlameRam

RedFlameRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it is lifted. The actual code would have been helpful, but if it is actually the cam sensor you'll want to get an OEM sensor or you'll be doing it again sooner rather than later.
Thank you , the check engine light is off now for some odd reason , guess it works intermittently, will keep an eye on it and probably just replace it myself , the mechanic shop here wants to charge me 590$ to change it , from videos it’s very easy to change and I got up underneath her today just to look at it and is fairly easy to get too

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would like to put way bigger tires on this as the oem tire size looks funny on the truck … what size of tires will fit this as in bigger tires

I don't have any lift and I made 35s fit with, took 10min and a hammer. With your lift you should be able to fit them fine.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ticking is probably a exhaust leak at the manifold very common.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357