2008 dodge ram overheat and knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drtdvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Today i was out hunting. I went out and the engine almost redlined. i shut the engine down and popped the hood to find a hose blown. I reconnected the hose, found that the clips were not holding the hose on tight. I lost the majority of my water almost 15 miles away from phone service or the nearest gas station. I let the engine cool for over an hour. Babied it about 12 miles and it red lined once. i killed it, when i went to restart the engine about 15 minutes later it was still extremely hot but lower than red line and i babied it to fill up with water. An engine knock started at this time. the idle is very uneven. I didnt find any discoloration in the oil. I did find some small metal fragments in the oil. but nothing huge. it still runs but very rough. exhaust is white smoke.
any guess on the problem? has anybody else had this problem or something similar? check engine light is flashing it shut itself down at one point before i refilled it.

AlljackedupRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well white smoke is water vapor in the exhaust.. which leads me to believe you have blown a head gasket to start with...

OP
OP
D

drtdvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i agree. that was my first thought. do the heads tend to warp in these engines. I am not a big dodge engine guy. i grew up working on fords mainly so not that i am totally dumb when it comes to engines, just new dodge dumb really

OP
OP
D

drtdvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the other question i have is are the heads alluminium or cast iron?

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum. Can't help out too much with this issue, but wanted to say welcome.

OP
OP
D

drtdvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Welcome to the forum. Can't help out too much with this issue, but wanted to say welcome.

Thanks I have been reading posts and stuff on here for awhile, its about time i finally registered