2015 Power Wagon Battery Issue, Truck will die while driving.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Northernpike1162

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2015 Power Wagon with the 6.4 Hemi will shut down while driving. It seems the battery (new June 2021) Napa Premium AGM doesn't hold a charge or doesn't charge well. I don't drive it a lot so I put it on a charger about every 2 weeks. I went camping this weekend and had charged it up prior to leaving. Drove about 70 miles towing my 16' camp trailer and got to where I was going fine. Drove home the next day not towing to pick up my wife and we drove back up no problems. On way home yesterday truck died about halfway home. Checked voltage and it was low, about 12.5 I think. I tightened the connections and bam we're back on the road and got home without any problem. The issue I think I'm having maybe is getting the battery post connections tight enough, but I'm reaching the limit of tightness but I think they aren't tight enough, they will move on the post if I try to move them without to much effort. Alternator is good. Could the posts be defective, slightly small? Is there something I can put on the posts to make them slightly bigger? I'm pulling the battery and taking it to the local Napa store tomorrow to see what they say.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Once a battery gets low, it needs to be charged with a standard battery charger for at least 2 hours.

If you park close to a power outlet, i believe that using a Battery Tender when the truck will sit , say overnight.
That will keep the battery up near a full charge

1698114118055.png
1698114384088.png

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best to have it properly load tested... and get a number.

You never know ...any battery could have the possibility of sitting at a low state of charge before ya buy it. Meaning it could be sulfating away for weeks... (coating the plates) even before you take possession. Hopefully not but.

Two yrs ago I bought a battery from a local chain farm & barn outfit near me. After I got it it took a whole day and until the next morning to fully charge up on my Battery Minder trickle charger! I know from experience using that charger on other batteries, that means it was pretty darn low. I stupidly assumed they turned batteries pretty quick and didn't have them test it for me before putting it in my shopping cart. It works ok, but did whatever sulfating which probably occurred knock 2 or 3 years off it's life? I guess we'll find out. I'm keeping an eye on it. I put dates on them when I buy them. I bought a new Interstate battery, from the local interstate store about that time and it took hardly any time to charge up fully. The guy there says they have a high turn-over rate...and I believe it based on the traffic coming in/out.

Best to have the selling outfit test a battery's charge after pulling it off the shelf selecting a battery. Pick one with the best state of charge before you put it in your cart..

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You shouldn’t be able to move the battery clamps that easily when they’ve been tightened down. I’d try cleaning up the battery posts and clamps and make sure the clamps are closing correctly.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's pretty obvious from the original post that the the cables/clamps are not tight and that's the issue. The simple fact that you retightened the clamps and it started up fine makes that point obvious. You also shouldn't be able to move the clamps around by hand if they are properly tightened. You will need to double-check the size of the posts on the battery and take a look at the cable clamps. I've seen clamps get worn/wallowed out where there are not clamping enough, or could have something stuck in them preventing a full clamp. Really shouldn't have to crank down on the bolt that hard to get a solid connection. You can buy new battery terminals/connectors, or most auto parts stores have shims that go over the battery posts.

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I agree with post above. Best fix is probably new clamps or cables. But a poor man's fix to get you back home could be the spot on clamps that are touching not allowing you to close them anymore you can shave/cut some of that led away so you can squeeze more. A even easier/quicker not recommended method is have a small screw or nail you can drive in between clamps and post (or put in prior to clamping ( this will cause damage most likely to the soft lead parts but will get you home.