2016 ram 1500 sports crew, cab, short box with hemi wrong front and parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lobrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi, I am hoping you guys can help me. I have 2016 ram 1500 sports with hemi and short box. Last winter, I wrecked it damaging the bumper grills, front fenders and hood. I dropped it off to be repaired and two weeks later I got it back and no longer liked my truck or what it look like. Everything looked the same but the front fenders looked longer, the bumper stuck out more.,the front end now looked as long as the box, where it used to be shorter than the box, knowledge, the bumper seem to have more sharp edges after, so it was pretty rounded all over before, The tires now rub on the wheel wells when I turn even a little bit, which has tore up the wheel and my tires, the bumper does not stay hooked to the grill, there is a gap around the headlights that wasn’t there before. The auto repair guy claimed he simply ordered the parts that went to that vehicle online and did not bother checking the wrecked parts to see if they were the same. I can tell just by looking at it that the front end is longer than it used to be.

I went to my local ram dealer and the parts man said he thought the bumper looked bigger but he could not tell me anything more. I wrote ram customer service and got no where there either. I read something about a sports bumper and sports parts for the Rams sport I believe the auto repair guy put regular Parts from a full size ram on my sport ram. It all looks the same, just longer.

I have noticed that the limited edition ram such as the bumblebee and the neon green one have the same short front end that I used to have on mine. The front bumper is more flush with the front grill, the fenders are shorter , and my tires never ever scraped before. I know that these parts are wrong I just don’t know exactly what the difference is I am hoping that someone knows what parts go on a 1500 sport or what parts are on the limited edition, bumblebee, which matches what I should have on my vehicle.

I am attaching , the estimate including the parts that were put on my vehicle that are not correct and also a before and after picture. Images have blue sky and white clouds , collage is before. After images are at the gas pump and the bumper Close up. If you look at the length of the front end compared to the length of the bed, in the before, and in the after photo, you should be able to see the difference. Also, I drew a line from the center of the tire, does not connect at the same place on the fender in the before, and after photo. I drew a line measurement, across the rear window and moved that line to the center line on the front tire. This showed that the new front end is in fact longer. I am hoping someone can tell me the difference in these parts so I can get this fixed. I had to pa this out of pocket so insurance cannot handle this for me. I I really appreciate any info and thank you for your time

Attachments

• IMG_2604.png
    IMG_2604.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2605.png
    IMG_2605.png
    149.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0017.jpeg
    IMG_0017.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0352.jpeg
    IMG_0352.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0355.png
    IMG_0355.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0350.png
    IMG_0350.png
    407.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Those photos are all distorted, you can't go off that. Do you have any pictures of the damage? Did it get into the frame rails?

They likely used "crash parts" which are lower quality than OE, but they're still the same measurements. The scrubbing isn't surprising, they probably didn't get the fender liners reattached properly. But dimensionally, I highly doubt your truck is longer. Go to a dealer lot, find a sport and take some of your own measurements to compare. Use the same reference points for each measurement.

blue ghost

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 sport
Engine
hemi 5.7
I went out and looked and mine and it seems the same as yours afterwards. I think the pictures taken at different distances causes your issue. Good luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
It seems the front suspension is lower by and needs to be leveled with the rear

Your may also need a front wheel alignment to adjust the Caster.

OP
OP
L

Lobrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 16 looks like your final product, also. (Wish I had that hood, though)

View attachment 538214
I have been to the lot and have measured it definitely is an air bumper and the fenders are longer than the ones that were there before. This maroon truck is beautiful. If you look at your bumper and look at the close-up picture of my bumper you can see that there are a lot more Edges in the bumper and look at yours and it is more rounded. Before and after look exactly the same pretty much unless you pay attention to the details in fact are different. I just don’t know how or what to do with that info. Mine should be exactly like this maroon truck.
Those photos are all distorted, you can't go off that. Do you have any pictures of the damage? Did it get into the frame rails?

They likely used "crash parts" which are lower quality than OE, but they're still the same measurements. The scrubbing isn't surprising, they probably didn't get the fender liners reattached properly. But dimensionally, I highly doubt your truck is longer. Go to a dealer lot, find a sport and take some of your own measurements to compare. Use the same reference points for each measurement.
, The photos must’ve come through distorted on this site, but they are clear, and I have measured from the same vantage point, and have also measured at the dealership. The fenders are longer, and the bumper is bigger.. it looks the same but if you look closely, the bumper is bigger it has more creases or edges in it. If you look at the close-up picture of the bumper and compare it to the maroon truck that posted on this thread. Mine should be like the maroon truck where it’s more rounded and flush with the front front grill not completely flush, but it’s a little closer to flush than the one in my picture. Comparing that bumper to the moon, maroon truck in the thread you can see that they are different bumpers. I don’t know if I have an image of the crash, but the bumper was kind of destroyed. The angle of the photos is not the issue either, I have measured from the centerline on the front wheel as well, measured numerous sport, edition, or limited edition round, and they are all. Shorter. It’s kinda hard to notice, but I appreciate your help and time thank you

OP
OP
L

Lobrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thank you for your responses, it is actually a larger different bumper, and the fenders are definitely longer. I wasn’t really looking for whether or not that was actually happening because it is I was watching to know if anyone knew the actual parts that go on sport edition. or how to find out? Have to look a little more closely in order to see if there is a difference. I posted a picture which is a close-up of the bumper after and if you can pair that to the maroon truck, which is a very nice truck by the way, that is posted on this thread, you can see that the two bumpers are different. Mine has more edges or creases and sticks out further to where the maroon truck has a more rounded bumper and is somewhat more flush with the front grill . Mine should be like the one on the maroon truck. I appreciate you guys trying to help though. I guess it was just hoping that someone had run into this before and could tell me how to go about it. He did say he was using aftermarket parts, so I guess it’s possible the parts are funky. Not sure why the pictures are distorted but I will try to fix it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lobrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It seems the front suspension is lower by and needs to be leveled with the rear

Your may also need a front wheel alignment to adjust the Caster.
I didn’t notice that too. Do you know how the front suspension would become lower after being repaired? Thank you for your response.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you are letting your head get to you here. There are not multiple part numbers and different fenders and bumpers out there. Any difference between OEM and aftermarket is going to be negligible.

Show us some pictures with the tires pointed straight forward before and after and don't put those Microsoft Paint lines on them and let us judge it ourselves. Your pictures are not 1:1 comparable.

OP
OP
L

Lobrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 16 looks like your final product, also. (Wish I had that hood, though)

View attachment 538214
Thank you for your response, I love yours, that color makes it look really nice. I kind of posted a response to Olive but I will try to point out that bumper on your truck. If you look closely is rounded pretty much all the way on the other and is kind of close to being flush with the grill. If you look at the close-up shot of the bumper in my pictures, you will notice that it sticks out further from the grill, and also has more edges or creases in it, if you look closely, you can tell that it’s a different bumper. Mine should be just like yours. I know it looks the same, but it is bigger and just doesn’t look as great.

OP
OP
L

Lobrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think you are letting your head get to you here. There are not multiple part numbers and different fenders and bumpers out there. Any difference between OEM and aftermarket is going to be negligible.

Show us some pictures with the tires pointed straight forward before and after and don't put those Microsoft Paint lines on them and let us judge it ourselves. Your pictures are not 1:1 comparable.
OK I’m not letting my head get to be here, I never claimed to know anything about it I just don’t for a fact it’s different. I don’t know if there’s part numbers or what the difference is that would be why I’m posting the question. I never expected you to be able to measure on the photos, I printed out how to notice the difference in my statement. I guess there is more thinking that someone may have ran across this and they know what to do about it. I appreciate your time.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK I’m not letting my head get to be here, I never claimed to know anything about it I just don’t for a fact it’s different. I don’t know if there’s part numbers or what the difference is that would be why I’m posting the question. I never expected you to be able to measure on the photos, I printed out how to notice the difference in my statement. I guess there is more thinking that someone may have ran across this and they know what to do about it. I appreciate your time.
Didn't mean to come off so aggressive I just can't understand how there could be any difference from before and after using the same parts. Which, I hope they are using the same OEM stuff.

Would you mind sharing some more pictures? I am wondering if the way the photos were taken adds to the perception of what you are talking about.

OP
OP
L

Lobrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Didn't mean to come off so aggressive I just can't understand how there could be any difference from before and after using the same parts. Which, I hope they are using the same OEM stuff.

Would you mind sharing some more pictures? I am wondering if the way the photos were taken adds to the perception of what you are talking about.
Yea, I will see what I have. Another man said they were distorted, so I imagine it’s hard to see you when I’m talking about. I will see if I can get them more to scale but Iwe’re distorted, so I imagine it’s hard to see you when I’m talking about. I will see if I can get them more to scale. I know absolutely nothing about parts, but he did say he was using aftermarket parts, which I assumed would look exactly the same. he had pre-ordered everything and was supposed to have the truck for two weeks and then three days before I was supposed to pick it up. He had to order additional parts and ended up keeping it for a half a week longer. I guess I’m hoping he use the right stuff to, but it just doesn’t look right.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
You can fabricate a trammel gauge from lumber or buy one

Because you said you didn’t like the way your truck handles leads me to believe your alignment is off and incorrect Caster will do that.

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I didn’t notice that too. Do you know how the front suspension would become lower after being repaired? Thank you for your response.
I have a 2016 Express short bed with 2in lift and bilstein shocks
And the front springs compress or the shock adjustment sags , that also could be an issue with some alignment service technicians not knowing how to adjust for other than stock specs

Last edited:

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is no difference in those body parts from the express model to the sport or even the limited. The should and all the same size and shape. Ram is not making different sizes that wouldn't be cost effective. Maybe you have some frame damage. Maybe the alignment is off. Or the body shop ordered your parts off Temu. From 09 to the 23 classic the would all be the same. Maybe take it to a different body shop and have them look at it.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
There is no difference in those body parts from the express model to the sport or even the limited. The should and all the same size and shape. Ram is not making different sizes that wouldn't be cost effective. Maybe you have some frame damage. Maybe the alignment is off. Or the body shop ordered your parts off Temu. From 09 to the 23 classic the would all be the same. Maybe take it to a different body shop and have them look at it.
Agreed here. Theres no way your parts are that different, OEM vs aftermarket may have some differences but they’re negligible. Any differences in the points and sharpness of the bumper you think you’re seeing is simply a product of the different colors highlighting the bumpers differently.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man,I don't see a difference in the pics provided....sry bud.
But if tires are rubbing something is off.
You see extra washers or whatnot on any mounting points of anything?
I like others,find it hard to believe diff.parts were made for diff.vehicles of the same years.
Where did the parts come from?
What did you specify you wanted for the fix?
Bottom line is that your not happy with it and needs to be addressed on your end with the body shop as it looks like you shelled out a hefty sum to be put back to the way it was.
I can see the body shops point of view as"i ordered the year and model".i can see your concerns also...sounds like a court matter(and i think your past small claims but dont qoute me on that)if it goes that far but who is right if you can't prove what you had or the old parts not kept.
Pics of the damage?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They dont make longer fenders. Only one to choose from. Now the front bumper…there may be some variations in that maybe throughout different model years and trims.