2016 Strut assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I have a 2016 1500 4x4 5.7 all stock. Just over 110k mileage. I was looking at replacing struts in front and the rear shocks. initially I was looking at the bilsten 1500 for front and level out the front. I bought the truck used With about 50k mi on it. As I was researching struts, I see what looks like a strut assembly that has the strut and spring in one complete unit. I may have that now if prior owner changed because I don’t see how strut can come out of existing spring. Looks all in one. As I was looking more at these and the cost seems reasonable, I’m leaning towards something like this. It’s a daily driver and my only off-road is potholes. Any thoughts or recommendations on a full assembly instead of just the strut insert? Thank you.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Never seen a coilover strut assembly that can't be disassembled. You cannot just change a strut while it on the truck. You take out the whole assembly and put it in a spring compressor, dissasemble, put in the new strut and put it all back together again.

You can buy a loaded strut assembly which comes assembled with a new spring or just the strut where you reuse your old setup.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Post a picture of your current struts here. Are you going to do it yourself or have a shop do it? You can get bilsteins as a complete assembled unit set to your desired height for about $800-900. If you go that route it’s not much more to upgrade to the bilstein 6112 over the 5100.

Whatever you do I would avoid the cheap rough country loaded struts.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Never seen a coilover strut assembly that can't be disassembled. You cannot just change a strut while it on the truck. You take out the whole assembly and put it in a spring compressor, dissasemble, put in the new strut and put it all back together again.

You can buy a loaded strut assembly which comes assembled with a new spring or just the strut where you reuse your old setup.
Chopperman1 is correct. I'd look at bilstein 6112s fully loaded, you can set your ride height as they are built and before delivery to you and 5100s in the rear.

Fairly expensive, but Great combo

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am sure they come apart. post some pics of what you got.

We can help you with struts and shocks. the 5100's are a very good low cost option. So is Eibach and the bilstein 6112's are a great option for a little more.

Message me and we can review options and pricing. We offer lots of options for suspension.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Post a picture of your current struts here. Are you going to do it yourself or have a shop do it? You can get bilsteins as a complete assembled unit set to your desired height for about $800-900. If you go that route it’s not much more to upgrade to the bilstein 6112 over the 5100.

Whatever you do I would avoid the cheap rough country loaded struts.
I’m looking to do on the cheap.. I’m going to pretty much replace everything at once from brakes all around, hub assembly’s, links, bushings, upper and lower control arms, rear links, bushings, shocks and a set of plugs. I’m looking for semi quality and looking at this for the price range. https://www.partsgeek.com/cd7f9ks-ram-1500-strut-and-coil-spring-assembly-set.html

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not familiar with that brand of strut assembly. That is really cheap, I would not cheap out too much on suspension. You do get what you pay for with items like that. other than durability, ride quality may suffer as well. Just because it fits your current budget doesn't make it a good buy.

Just make sure you do your research on what ever it is you are interested in before committing to purchasing. At that price point you linked, we can not help you with parts but if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
I am not familiar with that brand of strut assembly. That is really cheap, I would not cheap out too much on suspension. You do get what you pay for with items like that. other than durability, ride quality may suffer as well. Just because it fits your current budget doesn't make it a good buy.

Just make sure you do your research on what ever it is you are interested in before committing to purchasing. At that price point you linked, we can not help you with parts but if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.
Yes not an area to To go ”cheap” but a couple hundred to get everything vs $800-$900 for 2 struts is a significant difference. The link I posted was more for reference. There are several diff brands making the whole assembly for under $300 for a pair and was hoping others can weigh in on that with which of the multiple brands may be better Than the other.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It should not cost $800-900 for struts....That price range you are getting close to really nice setups like 6112's and coil overs. You can get Eibach struts and coils for $503(at full msrp) then you just need top strut mounts that are relatively inexpensive. That will ride way nicer than any option under $300 for not a whole lot more money.

GoRancho while not as good as the Eibach setup I mentioned is a decent option and they offer loaded struts for around $400.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat