2022 heavy duty towing automatic transmission failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yatesfamily08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After towing while trying to park my automatic transmission fails. I have a 2022 ram laramie, crew cab, 5.7 hemi engine, 4X4, shoprt bed. The truck is pushing 11K miles. Why does this happen? How prevelant is this? I can hear the service department already. "Could not duplicate the problem!" I purchased my truck from Hanley in Napa, CA.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
What do you mean by it failed? How I read that a failure would be an evident problem that wouldnt require the service dept to "recreate".
Me: engine blew, sent a rod straight through the block

Dealer: test drove for 10 miles, couldn't reproduce issue, no additional rods sent through block

:rotflmao:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
After towing while trying to park my automatic transmission fails. I have a 2022 ram laramie, crew cab, 5.7 hemi engine, 4X4, shoprt bed. The truck is pushing 11K miles. Why does this happen? How prevelant is this? I can hear the service department already. "Could not duplicate the problem!" I purchased my truck from Hanley in Napa, CA.
You said heavy duty towing and then 5.7 Hemi. Those 2 things are contradictory.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, since the truck is not driveable you already know they aren't going to be able to duplicate the problem. And what does "transmission fails" actually mean? It won't go into gear, it fell off the bottom of the vehicle?

And since you have a 1500 with the 5.7, that would preclude any heavy duty towing - unless you were towing way over your capacity.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
The way the OP wrote the question it sounds like it's a repetitive problem. After heavy towing it fails is not much info to go on. Maybe once it cools down it works???Need more info OP.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well, since he hasn't been back in a week I'd call this a drive-by question.
Agreed. And since he says it 'fails' every time he tows, then it's not a 'fail' as we commonly call it. When I say a transmission fails, it means it isn't working properly all the time (won't go into gear, overheats constantly, etc. etc. etc).

Without more info we wouldn't be able to help the guy anyway.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My speculation is ,
He unhooked his trailer then jumped in the truck to move it forward without closing the door……….
Transmission fail?
Not sure what that has to do with anything. What would the door have to do with the transmission?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Not sure what that has to do with anything. What would the door have to do with the transmission?
It wouldn't, BUT if you unhook a trailer without turning your truck off, many of them will give you a 'trailer disconnected' warning. That's still not a transmission failure so maybe he's mis-reading his DIC?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500

Another big brother safety feature, I think it was put in place after some actor ran himself over with his Jeep

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The first time my truck did this, I almost crapped my pants thinking the transmission failed too.

If the OP has the door open while trying to reverse the truck will basically toss itself in park and won't move. That "might" have made the OP think that the trans is failing when in reality it is a nanny feature that the truck is designed with.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It wouldn't, BUT if you unhook a trailer without turning your truck off, many of them will give you a 'trailer disconnected' warning. That's still not a transmission failure so maybe he's mis-reading his DIC?
Another big brother safety feature, I think it was put in place after some actor ran himself over with his Jeep

The first time my truck did this, I almost crapped my pants thinking the transmission failed too.

If the OP has the door open while trying to reverse the truck will basically toss itself in park and won't move. That "might" have made the OP think that the trans is failing when in reality it is a nanny feature that the truck is designed with.
Ah, now I remember reading that some have trucks with that feature. Mine doesn't. I can back up at 60 MPH with the door open and the seatbelt undone, which is how I back up half the time when hooking up the boat. The door open thing...not 60 MPH. :cool: What I have found irritating is that I can't lock the tailgate with the door open and the engine running. Any other combination of the door/engine works, just not open and running. But that's another thread.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I haven't attempted it with this truck, but with my previous 16 3500 and my old 14 Durango if I reversed at more than 5 mph it would slam into park. I could back under the fifth wheel with the door open as long as I was creeping.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Maybe opened the door while trying to park the trailer? I am thinking.

I am sure mine kicks in even if stopped and truck is still in gear.
Maybe the newer ones are difference?

When my truck was new ,it would not do it, but you could turn it on with the setting in the radio.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Mine will immediately slam in to park if I open the door while it's in gear.

If this is what the OP was experiencing, then that is normal, and the dealer isn't going to do anything for him. It would take a custom tune to take that 'safety feature' out.