2105 ram 1500 5.7 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott hill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So have a problem with over heating on the interstate not at idle has new water pump and 190 Thermostat truck can get up to 220° before I stop and let it cool down. Doesn't do it as bad when air conditioning is on started about a month ago have flush cooling system also and clutch fan has no play in it and seems fine ,truck use to run about 205 with a load on the interstate and as soon as you exit would drop back to the low 190s only that has changed recently I. Replaced lifters, cam shaft, head gaskets, intake gaskets. Et. Cetera have pressure check cooling system, no leaks.
No, Exhaust. Gases in the antifreeze. Only thing I've noticed that is different is when I crank truck up in the morning. Clutch Fan comes on temporarily and then shuts off.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
If you can pressure test the cooling system you may be able to purge any accumulated air bubbles that are stuck. You may have not removed all of the air from the system on the first try.

or if you haven’t access to a pressure test kit , you can park with the radiator facing uphill on a steep incline where the radiator cap is the highest point of the cooling system
After the system cools down enough without pressure open the radiator cap ( not the plastic reservoir lid ) and let the water pump purge the rest of the system once the coolant thermostat has opened.
(I would personally place something like rubber wheel blocks or chocks to prevent the vehicle from rolling backward)

If you have a pressure relief next to the thermostat housing don’t try an use it with the engine running because of the close proximity of the mechanical clutch fan.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Yeah did all that again still same problem
Do you have access to an infrared camera ?
Is it possibly the coolant temp sensor itself ?
I’m assuming you tested your radiator cap when you tested the cooling system.
When you mention the AC on brings the temp down makes me think it’s the clutch fan or the radiator itself.
I once had a problem with aftermarket coolant thermostats where they would consistently fail in the closed position have you tried removing , testing , or changing the coolant thermostat ?

OP
OP
S

Scott hill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New Radiator cap new thermostat at both old and new Thermostat still had the same problem with both.
Haven't checked temp sensor

OP
OP
S

Scott hill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thermostat is working because you can watch the temperature. Change the first time in it opens don't have the camera

OP
OP
S

Scott hill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When the a c's on, it helps keep the temperature down. But eventually on the interstate state it will rise.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When the a c's on, it helps keep the temperature down. But eventually on the interstate state it will rise.
Sounds like a rad issue if it overheats at speed.How clean are the rad fins? If the front of the rad is blocked by bugs/dirt etc,you could try cleaning it at your local coin-op carwash,pull the plastic cover off,before heading to the carwash,so you can get at the front of the rad,and A/C condensor to wash both. If it still over heats,you might be due for a new rad.

OP
OP
S

Scott hill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took out all these shutters, but the top and bottom one, so it wouldn't create a code. Solved problem truck running at 192 to 194 in stop and go traffic interstate running 195 to 197 at 80 mph

Missouri2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious, how many miles on your truck when you replaced the cam and lifters?

OP
OP
S

Scott hill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious, how many miles on your truck when you replaced the cam and lifters?
With idle time which Is equivalent to about 30 miles per idle hour 230000. But a 190000 on the actual meter. I had one lifter that failed So just went ahead and chose to do the cam. And all the lifters

Last edited: