3 Way Coolant Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iplax13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V 6
My truck has been having intermittent check engine light and now it’s on full time. Mechanic told me it needs a 3 way coolant bypass. Does anyone know anything about this? He said it’s an easy fix I can do myself.
2017 Ram 1500 slt 3.6l

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck has been having intermittent check engine light and now it’s on full time. Mechanic told me it needs a 3 way coolant bypass. Does anyone know anything about this? He said it’s an easy fix I can do myself.
2017 Ram 1500 slt 3.6l
Here U go: Video on how to do. Not too terribly hard, just a PITA.

OP
OP
I

iplax13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V 6
So I have replaced it and the light after resetting is back on. I’m at a loss here. Heard there is a programming issue with this. Anyone know anything?

rixter644

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have the same problem. is it usual for the mechanic to say it just has to reset itself? he told me to just keep running it like normal and the CEL should come off by itself. he told me that if it doesn’t by thursday to swing by and he’ll take a look at it for no charge.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i have the same problem. is it usual for the mechanic to say it just has to reset itself? he told me to just keep running it like normal and the CEL should come off by itself. he told me that if it doesn’t by thursday to swing by and he’ll take a look at it for no charge.
Try a battery disconnect,it might reset it.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sometimes it’s not the three way valve that throws the CEL, it’s the electrical sensor attached to it. Double check the connection and make sure there is no gunk or corrosion in the plug. Also aftermarket electronics don’t always play nice with Ram trucks. Hopefully you used a Mopar part.

rixter644

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah, so a little update on how that went for me. it seemed like everything was going right on the truck. but now i’m getting a service electronic throttle on the dash. drove it from nashville tn to knoxville tn. (3 hours) and just as i about got home it popped up. when that happens it won’t go past 10mph, and when i’m going let’s say 60 it feels like it shifts all the way down to first. also if i leave it like that without turning it off it will start overheating. had the gas pedal with the sensor in it replaced monday. and now i got it again today. got stuck on the interstate for about 40 minutes. but managed to make it home. i don’t have the slightest clue to what’s going on. it’s driving me nuts.