318 Magnum starter issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
So my cheapass Advance-China-Zone starter has given up the ghost, after less than 2 years and 900 miles :shaking: (it's a toy - it DOES sit a lot) on my '92 Ramcharger reclamation project (GEN.1, I know - but there are more 318 Magnums out there among you Gen.2 guys!!!)

So I'm looking at some good ol' AMERICAN made overkill to replace it. Engineer buddy of mine had a good point yesterday though - he asked, with all that power, if it wouldn't rip ALL the teeth out, and leave me a 'nice' smooth starter ring gear - and something ELSE to fix.

So is the Powermaster GTG, or would something like this, be a little gentler on the flywheel, OR...??? Does the MOPAR brain trust recommend another option?

Thanks!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The only time i see ripped up ring gears is when the starter is not shimmed right. I am 10.5:1 comp and just use a good old Mopar starter nothing special at all.

OP
OP
The War Wagon

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
The only time i see ripped up ring gears is when the starter is not shimmed right. I am 10.5:1 comp and just use a good old Mopar starter nothing special at all.

I just want something with plenty of "OOOOMPH," and won't die on me in less than 2 years/1,000 miles!!!